*
Daze Blog
Eric Bernsee

Rumor mill grinds to a halt on 231

Posted Monday, October 24, 2011, at 4:11 PM
Comments
View 2 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • I heard it was to track North American Road Squirrel migration patterns...

    -- Posted by PlatyPius on Tue, Nov 1, 2011, at 7:49 AM
  • The purpose of the traffic counters on North Jackson St. are in preparation of the county moving Crows bridge to the county museum parking lot. Traffic will be rerouted along west Franklin St, north on Columbia, east on Co Rd 50N back to US231. Once the old bridge is located at the museum it will be cut up into small pieces and sold as landmark keep sakes. Crows bridge is the oldest bridge in Putnam county dating back to 1811 and originally built over the Brick Chapel creek, in the spring flood of 1812 it was washed off its limestone foundation into the field southwest of the south fork of Brick Chapel creek which sometime early in 1822 in and unseasonable wet spring, unexplainablely went dry and is no longer located on county maps. In 1813 the county hired RU Bridget Co. of Dry Creek Texas to move Crows bridge to its Big Walnut location, since no roads existed east of US231 the bridge was loaded on a barge and floated up river, however in anticipation of the civil war the bridge movers had to return home and the bridge was left setting 4 miles west of the proposed location that it was going to. In 1815 the county decided to build and access road to reach the bridge as the bridge movers had inadvertently left the bridge over local teenagers favorite swimming hole, and the county was experiencing a high number of emergency calls due to buggies getting stuck in the field south of the bridge. Abraham Lincoln visited Putnam county in 1816 and was entertained by a tour of the bridge and the story of how it reached its location, he declared the bridge move to be a major moves project and campaigned that ever elected he would grant payment by the federal government for road improvements.

    -- Posted by illudo illusi illusum on Fri, Feb 17, 2012, at 4:49 PM
Respond to this blog

Posting a comment requires free registration: