By Maribeth Ward
The Putnam County Library Board of Directors recently approved the lease of a new copier for the library which will save the library thousands of dollars.
They also approved the purchase of a VIN tower and software to operate the copier with library computers.
Activities on the monthly report included purging library cards which have not been used in four or more years. It was also noted that many people are taking advantage of a new computer area set to help people researching ancestry.
"The new area allows people to spread out more and have space to work," remarked Greensburg.
It was also reported that the library firewall has appeared on several spam and virus blacklists since May 8.
This can cause a problem getting e-mail to certain places on the internet. Library officials have to work individually with each blacklist to have the library's IP address removed from it. Staff members view this as a possible continuing problem, especially for e-mail servers that do recognize the change in blacklisting. Each one will have to be contacted individually and asked to add the library address to be allowed in their system.
* Summer Reading program theme "Get a Clue" started May 29. This program encourages children to keep reading through the summer to maintain their reading skills. The mystery theme found in many children's books includes exploring science and history as well as secret codes and puzzles of all kinds.
* A June 11 kickoff party is planned for teens, grades 7-12. This year's teen summer reading program theme is YKN@your library. For those who don't know internet lingo, YKN stands for "You Never Know." This program is designed to tie in with the children's summer reading program.
* The Central Indiana Land Grant Organization art display "Preserving Nature" will be available for viewing on June 4. The display contains paintings of properties in central Indiana. It will be at the library through June 28.
* The library volunteer recognition lunch will take place on June 21 and Movies on Monday starts on June 1. There will be a puppet show at 3 p.m. on June 4.
* A celebration of J.K. Rowling's 7th book in the Harry Potter series, Deathly Hallows is being planned for July 20.
The next meeting of the Putnam County Library Board will take place on June 27 at 6 p.m.