Police and fire crews from Greencastle were called to an apartment complex on Canterbury Drive Tuesday morning after workers digging holes for a privacy fence behind one of the buildings struck a small natural gas line.
Greencastle Firefighter Bob Campbell said the half-inch line that runs into the back of one of the apartment buildings was "sliced" on one side, causing the odorous gas to be released into the air.
Crews from Vectren quickly responded to the scene and shut off the gas before restoring the punctured line. The neighborhood did not have to be evacuated.
Campbell said the line could have caught fire if a flame was placed close to the pipe or a spark ignited the fumes, however, he said the danger is much higher for a larger pipeline.
The pipe that was punctured on Tuesday at around 11:30 a.m. was only a small service line. Emergency personnel cleared the scene at around noon.
There were no reports of injuries to any workers, nor was there any damage to the property.