[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 50°F  
High: 63°F ~ Low: 41°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Extension cords cause of blaze

Wednesday, November 1, 2006

A fire at the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house Tuesday night was determined to be electrical.

At 6:15 p.m., firefighters were 446 Anderson St. for a structure fire at the Phi Delt house, one DePauw University's many Greek houses.

Upon their arrival, firefighters found a small fire near a bunk in a small room in the back of the building. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly, but there was still plenty of smoke circulating throughout the building.

Exhaust fans were used to remove the smoke and the alarm was reset.

All students were able to evacuate quickly and safely, and no firefighters or students were injured.

According to reports, the fire started in an electrical cord that ran into the bunk area and was plugged into a power strip.

Damages were estimated at $3,000 for smoke and water damage to the contents of the room.

Greencastle Fire was assisted on scene by Cloverdale Township Volunteer Fire Department.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: