[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 52°F  
High: 57°F ~ Low: 46°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Friday fire destroys resident's barn

Saturday, January 6, 2007

(Photo)
Firefighters work to contain a fire started by a kerosene heater inside an excavating shop early Friday at the residence of Duane Boller, 8974 N. CR 725 W.
A Friday morning fire destroyed a pole barn at 8974 N. CR 725 W in Russell Township.

Putnam County firefighters were toned out to the home of Duane Boller for a structure fire at 11:19 a.m. Upon their arrival, firefighters found a 40 foot by 60 foot pole barn on fire, with the roof already collapsed.

The barn was used by Boller to repair equipment for his excavating company.

At the time of the fire, Boller had some repair equipment and a bulldozer inside the barn.

Russellville firefighter Kevin Carrington told the BannerGraphic that Russellville firefighters had just returned to station from a vehicle accident earlier Friday morning when they were dispatched for the fire.

Carrington also said that the walls of the shop were still standing, but there was not a lot of the structure to burn.

Boller told the BannerGraphic that he was inside the shop when the fire started.

According to both Carrington and Boller, the cause of the fire was a faulty kerosene heater.

Boller said the heater was on at the time when it began leaking oil.

From the heater, the fire radiated across the floor to the back wall, and spread throughout the barn.

Boller attempted to put the fire out with a garden hose, but the fire was spreading too quickly for him to stop it.

No injuries were reported and the bar appeared to be a total loss.

Russellville Fire Chief Mark Rossok said that all incoming fire departments were disregarded after Russellville arrived on the scene. Also on the scene was Putnam County Sheriff's Department, Operation Life and Red Cross.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: