Putnam County Jail
Five people were booked into the Putnam County Jail recently.
* Latha L. Denny, 40, Greencastle, was booked in at midnight Friday for public intoxication. He was arrested by Deputy Adam Hull. He was released on his own recognizance at 5 a.m.
* Welton Tate Shugart Jr., 49, Carmel, was booked in at 12:28 a.m. Friday for driving while intoxicated, public intoxication and criminal recklessness. He was arrested by Greencastle Officer Matthew Huffman.
* John Robert Sparks, 31, Indianapolis, was booked in at 3:25 a.m. Friday on an out-of-county hold. He was arrested by Deputy Dwight Simmons.
* Clifford J. Shuler, 55, Spencer, was booked in at 4:36 a.m. Friday for failure to appear in court. He was arrested at PCJ.
*Christopher Feath-erston, 44, Poland, was booked in at 5:10 a.m. Friday on a petition to revoke probation. He was arrested at PCJ.
Two accidents were investigated recently by the Putnam County Sheriff's Dept.
* Sgt. Don Pettit reported that Kyle Kirkham, 20, 7695 E. CR 1000 North, Roachdale, was driving south in a 2001 Dodge Ram when a deer ran in front of his vehicle and he swerved to avoid the animal. He overcorrected, lost control and the vehicle flipped onto its side.
Damage was estimated at $750-$1,000. Deputy Gregg Slover assisted at the scene.
* At 3:28 p.m. Thursday, two vehicles collided at U.S. 231 and U.S. 40 after one of the vehicles pulled out of the gas station.
Deputy Craig Sibbitt reported that James D. Jolliff, 29, Brazil, was driving a 1991 Ford F150 when he pulled out and was hit by a southbound 2992 Volvo driven by Dinah E. Miller, 46, North Salem.
Damage was estimated at $2,500-$5,000.
Greencastle Fire Dept.
The Greencastle Fire Department responded to several recent runs.
* At 11:29 a.m., firefighters were called to a hazardous materials investigation at 500 N. Fillmore Road. They were back on station at 12:45 p.m.
* At 7:08 a.m., crews were called to assist on an automobile wreck on Fillmore Road south of Fillmore. The run was canceled and crews returned to station at 7:17 a.m.
* At 9:55 a.m., firefighters responded to 4446 Anderson St. to an accidental fire alarm. They reset the alarm and returned at 10:06 a.m.
* At 11:59 a.m., crews responded to clean up a hydraulic fluid spill on Manhattan Road south of Limedale. They returned at 12:39 p.m.
* At 3:23 p.m., firefighters were called to 1009 S. College St. to extinguish an illegal brush pile fire. They returned at 4:01 p.m.