[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 61°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 49°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Greencastle boys fall to Warriors on road

Friday, August 24, 2007

DANVILLE -- The Tiger Cubs traveled to Danville Thursday and lost a tough contest, 4-3, to the Warriors.

Pat Martin
The play was very physical from the start. Greencastle was awarded a penalty kick with only 13 minutes played, and Pat Martin was able to beat the Warriors' keeper to take an early 1-0 lead.

Danville came back midway through the first half and tied the score 1-1 when senior Kyle Fox put a shot past the Cubs' keeper Ryan Payne.

The teams battled through the afternoon heat, but neither team was able to score for the last 20 minutes of the period. It remained tied at the break.

"We played a solid first half and were ready for their physical play," said GHS coach Dave Lilly. "I believe they had 10 fouls for each one we had, though. That resulted in some injuries for us, and when combined with the heat it really took a lot out of us."

The Warriors took the lead early in the second half, scoring a guick goal off the opening possession. Senior Trent Popp ran down a long ball in the corner, beat two defendersand slipped the ball inside the near post to give the Warriors the lead with only 15 seconds played in the half.

"We got caught napping to start the half," Lilly said. "There is just no excuse for allowing that goal and it ended up costing us the game. You can't give good teams easy goals like that and expect to win."

Adam Clute
Greencastle fought back and tied the match two minutes later when senior Adam Clute put in a goal off a deflected shot from teammate Eric Davis.

The Tiger Cubs took back the lead 3-2 when Davis made an unassisted goal with 9:03 played in the half.

The success was short-lived however, as Greencastle committed a foul in the penalty area and Danville was awarded the free kick. Trent Popp finished the play for hissecond score of the match, and the score was knotted again at 3-3. Popp completed the hat trick as he scored off a free kick late in the match, knocking the ball out of Payne's hands with seven minutes to play.

The Tiger Cubs had several late chances to tie the score, but just missed and Danville was able to hold on for the win.

In JV action the Cubs won 1-0 in a short match.

The Tiger Cubs (2-2) will play at home Tuesday when the Terre Haute South Braves visit to Dee Monnett field.\

At Danville

Greencastle 1 2 -- 3

Danville 1 3 -- 4

Goals -- Fox, Popp 3 (DHS), Martin, Clute, Davis (GHS)

Assists -- Davis (GHS)

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: