County officials are emphasizing that only people age 16 and older with a valid driver's license and insurance are allowed to ride all terrain vehicles on county roads beginning Oct. 1 when the ordinance goes into effect.
Commissioners Gene Beck, Jim Baird and Kristina Warren have said they have heard concerns from the public that children younger than age 16 and unlicensed drivers will be riding ATVs on local roads. However, the local ordinance requires a valid license, and all ATVs must be registered with the Department of Natural Resources.
Anyone with questions about that ordinance can contact the Putnam County Auditor's Office for copies of the ordinance. The ordinance is being shared with police agencies in the county, to be enforced as of Oct. 1.
Meanwhile, a segment of a project to run a new natural gas line through a portion of the county to improve service has received approval of the commissioners.
Kevin Relue from Vectren Energy Delivery said the company wants to avoid making cuts in county road by doing 19 road bores for the Greencastle 12-inch supply project.
The locations on the list of road bores are 3293 E. CR 100 North, CR 950 North at CR 250 East, CR 250 East at the Wolf Property, CR 900 North and CR 800 North at CR 250 East, U.S. 36 at the Donna Rust property, Old U.S. 36 at the Jerry Parker property, CR 500 North at CR 300 East, CR 300 East at the Brian Harlan and Willis Ader properties, CR 400 North at CR 300 East, CR 275 North at the Larry Timm property, CR 200 North at the Kenneth Ames property, CR 50 North at CR 300 East, CR 300 East at the People Pathways trail, CR 200 East at Veterans Memorial Highway, Veterans Memorial High-way at the F.B. Distro entrance, Ind. 240 at the F.B. Distro north property line, and CR 200 South at CR 100 East.
The project ends on Airport Road at the regulator station.
In other business, the commissioners,
* Tabled a request from the Greencastle Civic League to conduct the annual Lights of Love ceremony at the courthouse on Saturday, Dec. 1 to check on the availability of a custodian for the event.
* Voted to award work on Bridge 59 on CR 725 East to H.E. Henderson at a cost of $79,534. Four bids were received for that project.
* Received a draft of an amendment to the county zoning ordinance to allow keeping horses for recreational uses in a residential medium density district. The change comes as the result of a subdivision considered recently by the county plan commissioner. Kodiak Estates on CR 600 North is planned with a lake to allow water skiing as well as equestrian uses.
* Approved a resolution for Timber Ridge Estates Subdivision in Warren Township to divide 22.72 acres into three residential lots.
* Approved a resolution for Smith Subdivision in Cloverdale Township to divide 46 acres into three residential lots.
* Approved a resolution to replat Barren Acres Subdivision in Washington Township to divide 21.36 acres into two residential lots.
* Heard a request from Bill Dory of the Greencastle/Putnam County Economic Development Commission to approve a contract for economic development services, as well as the county's share of the office's annual funding.
* Approved the contract with the state Family and Social Services Administration to provide services for the Green Acres county home.