[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 52°F  
High: 57°F ~ Low: 46°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Help for child support payers is here

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Parents struggling to keep up with child support payments can get free legal advice at the Putnam County Courthouse. Tom Frohman, a lawyer with Indiana Legal Service, comes to Greencastle on the second Wednesday of each month to discuss child support issues with parents.

The Indiana Supreme Court recently recognized that, "the existence of unsustainable support orders actually leads to greater failure of non-custodial parents to pay their support obligations." According to Frohman, when child support becomes impossible to pay, many parents stop paying all together.

There are many situations where parents may have a support order that is more than they should be paying, said Frohman, citing loss of a job or emancipation of a child. However, many people don't know that in order to change support, a petition must be filed with the court.

"For example, if a parent becomes disabled, the child may get benefits from the parent's Social Security account," said Frohman. "Even though the parent is entitled to a credit against the support obligation, it won't happen unless something is filed with the court."

Another common source of confusion occurs when a child comes to live with a parent who has been ordered to pay support. According to Frohman, that parent is still obligated to pay support unless a petition is filed with the court.

"Parents who have trouble collecting child support can get help from the child support prosecutor's office," said Frohman. "Parents who have trouble paying child support or who are facing contempt of court can talk to me."

Helping parents get reasonable child support orders, according to Frohman, will help parents pay the child support that is ordered.

"I'm not trying to keep parents from paying child support. I just want the orders to fairly reflect what the parents should pay," Frohman said.

Frohman can only meet with parents who are financially eligible for free legal services.

Parents interested in meeting with Frohman can call Indiana Legal Services at 1-800-822-4774 for an appointment.

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Thanks for all your help! I have tried everthing to get the IVD child support office to help me get child support that is owed. I visited IVD child support today and they didn't get my paperwork to me me about a review hearing. My ex informed me!! They never get paperwork to me and I've complained so much. Clerks office has been wonderful and always helpful. But, when I went to IVD and asked why cant they do their jobs? They replied with "well we dont know why this happens but you can just quit our program if your not happy." Wonderful, they dont do their jobs and they dont even care. My ex os over 13,000 behind for the last 4 years and she tells me owell quit the program? THANKS SO MUCH for Indiana Legal Services and Channel 6 news.

-- Posted by monster2 on Thu, Jun 17, 2010, at 4:57 PM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: