[Nameplate] Fog/Mist ~ 52°F  
High: 57°F ~ Low: 46°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Fire destroys home

Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Reelsville family lost their home early Sunday in a fire investigators believe started in the chimney.

Reelsville Fire Chief John McPherson said the home of Ron and Donna Cummings and their two children was a total loss after the fire.

At 1:3 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to the home at 11920 S. CR 525 West, about six miles south of Reelsville.

The fire is believed to have started in the clogged chimney, and it spread through the attic of the modular home.

Smoke alarms woke the residents, who were able to escape safely. However, the family dog died in the fire.

Reelsville firefighters were assisted at the scene by units from Cloverdale Township, Greencastle, Madison Township and the Poland volunteer fire departments.

Units from Operation Life ambulance, Putnam County Sheriff's Dept. and the Red Cross were on standby.

Damage to the structure was estimated at $105,000. The basement of the home also received water damage.

Firefighters used 14,000 gallons of water to fight the blaze.

McPherson reminded everyone to have their chimney or wood burner checked by a certified inspector before the heavy winter heating season begins.

Meanwhile, Cloverdale Township firefighters also battled a fire that displaced a local family.

At 9:28 a.m. Sunday, firefighters were called to 201 Brown Ave. for a single-story house fire.

Firefighters were at the scene until 1:28 p.m. Sunday, and were assisted by Greencastle, Jefferson Township and Poland firefighters.

No additional information was available on the Cloverdale fire Sunday night.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: