[Nameplate] Fair ~ 63°F  
High: 73°F ~ Low: 48°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

DePauw announces 6.42% increase in student charges

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Tuition, room and board and fees for the 2008-09 academic year at DePauw University will increase 6.42 percent.

DePauw's Board of Trustees approved the new totals at their winter meeting. In addition, the University will correspondingly increase need-based aid to assist students who demonstrate financial need.

"The University, in accordance with its strategic plan, remains committed to supporting a first-rate faculty and the many innovative educational programs available to our students," says Richard Speller, vice President for finance and administration.

"The 2008-09 increases are necessary to sustain our strong academic offerings and the excellent facilities on DePauw's campus. Our continuing focus will be on maintaining competitive salaries for faculty members, supporting academic program budgets and addressing facilities needs. We appreciate families' concerns about the rising cost of higher education, and we endeavor to manage the University's operating costs as efficiently and effectively as possible."

The student charges for 2008-09 will be:

* Tuition $31,400

* Room $4,400

* Board $4,000

* Health Service Fee $240

* Student Activity Fee $185

About 70 percent of the University's operating budget is covered by tuition, room and board. The remaining 30 percent is supported by the gifts of DePauw's generous alumni and friends and by the earnings on the University's endowment. As a result, the "real cost" of a DePauw education is more than $47,100 per student.

"The strength of our endowment is also a testament to the generosity of the many DePauw supporters who recognize the importance of the uncommon academic and co-curricular experiences available to our students," says Speller.

Students at DePauw University are more academically engaged -- in and out of the classroom -- than undergraduates at peer institutions and the national average at all colleges and universities, according to the 2007 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). The Open Doors 2007 report finds that DePauw continues to be one of the top colleges in the United States for the percentage of students who study abroad.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

$188,400.00 for 4 years, WOW!!

-- Posted by Afghan Contractor on Wed, Feb 6, 2008, at 5:32 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: