[Nameplate] Fair ~ 55°F  
High: 67°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Utility billing irregularities among council's concerns

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Fillmore Town Council members disclosed more details of the town's troubled financial situation Thursday, and though they are not yet capable of solving those problems, the new officials say they are on their way to understanding them.

After reporting that the small town is carrying over $1 million dollars in debt last month, council president Jeff Osborn expanded on the town's bookkeeping woes by revealing water and sewer arrears are in excess of $86,000.

Osborn said the council hopes to institute payment plans to help people catch up and keep up on their utility bills, including possibly accepting credit card payments.

Clerk-Treasurer Wanda Seidler reported that vacant houses receiving no public utilities services have still been issued bills, for an unknown period of time. According to Osborn, those "phantom bills," have contributed significantly to the arrears, but will never be collected.

The board provided firm figures on other utility billing irregularities, such as unequal billing for town water and sewer. Osborn reported that some town residents have been billed a flat rate for sewer services while others have been billed $20 and $30 less per month, but there is no documentation to explain the differing rates.

"There is no way we can go back and make all of that right," Osborn said, but he assured residents that the council will make billing equitable in the future. "Some may find themselves paying a little more, some a little less. We're trying to get the town under control so please bear with us."

Seidler reported she is sending certified letters to residents with reduced rates, requesting legal documentation of billing agreements before any changes are put into effect. Town officials have no such documentation on file. The town's bookkeeper estimates that residents paying $20 per month below the minimum rate cost the town $3,012 every year, while those paying $30 less cost the town $2,654 per year.

Other billing errors include missed residential meter readings, to the tune of $2,520 last year. Also, a corporate account's meter was missed 10 of 12 times last year, to the tune of nearly $2,000.

The board also reported on the infiltration of groundwater into Fillmore's sewer system. After consulting with Greencastle utility officials, Osborn determined that in dry months the town's sewer bill is roughly $5,000, while it wet months it can be in excess of $15,000.

Though the board will continue to investigate the problem, Osborn plans to roll out conservation efforts and to begin enforcing regulations prohibiting unauthorized residential drainage from flowing into the town's sewer.

"Each of us needs to take responsibility for all the water we put into the sewer," Osborn said. "When that happens, were not cheating the town, we're cheating our neighbors," Osborn said.

Though most of the problems discussed in Thursday's meeting will be ongoing, the council was able to take action on two items of old business.

Osborn reported that after reading a decade's worth of meeting minutes, one of the most consistent complaints from Fillmore residents concerns nuisance animals.

Town Marshall Tom Helmer reported that the owner several loud dogs in the area has been issued a citation. However, he mentioned that law enforcement can't take action without receiving official complaints from residents.

The board also passed a motion to rewire the battery charging the town's tornado siren, adding it to the town hall electric meter instead of marinating an additional meter outside. Alan Jones projected minimal cost for the project, but expects the changes to save the town a few dollars.

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Anonymouseater I beleive if I understand the ATV ordinance it does not apply to small towns unless they have their own ordiance. The ordiance set by the county is only good on county roads not within town limits.

-- Posted by CougarsFan on Fri, Feb 8, 2008, at 3:10 PM

What does Helmer mean he needs a complaint about loud dogs. I have complained and nothing was done on serveral occasions. I have sit in my house today with the windows down furnace on and listened to those dogs for around four hours. In the summertime I can't even go outside and sit. The noise is so loud you can't even have company. Maybe the town board should start somewhere. Why do the people of Fillmore pay for city water if they run off a well? I did for two years. The good news is at least now they actually read the meters before I think they guessed at it and paid two utilities people to take care of a town with 154 houses.

-- Posted by gambler on Sat, Feb 9, 2008, at 11:00 AM

It is now legal to ride an ATV on County Roads if said County allows it. However you must register the ATV with the State and display the registeration numbers, ride within the guidelines and ride in a safe manner. With this said riding on roads is a bad decision and should never be allowed. An ATV wasn't meant for road riding, as for farmers have they geard of pick-up trucks?

-- Posted by Trying hard on Sat, Feb 9, 2008, at 2:30 PM

The four wheelers are only allowed legally on county roads. Yes they must be registered through the state and they must be insured.

Dogs will be dogs they bark, if you want to complain you need to put it on paper if it's not on paper it never happened it called a formal compliant, and requires a signature remember you may have to go to court.

Maybe Fillmore should adopt a 4-wheeler policy requiring riders to pay a "users fee" per say to ride on the roadways inside corporate limits. Lets say $75 per year and follow state guide lines for moped regulations, and the registered 4-wheeler policy.

-- Posted by Reader2 on Sun, Feb 10, 2008, at 1:51 PM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: