A new substitute teacher orientation program has been declared a success for North Putnam schools.
The program instituted last August took more than 30 substitutes through the North Putnam experience, outlining expectations and school rules.
Assistant Superintendent Kevin Emsweller told the North Putnam School Board on Thursday that the principals are pleased with the program, and the substitutes are more comfortable in their role.
"Issues are tackled before the fact rather than after," Superintendent Murray Pride agreed.
The program is not state-required, but the administrators decided to test the methods after discussing it during the previous school year.
The orientation will be offered every August just prior to the start of the new school year.
For those who do not attend the orientation, an official handbook has been created that includes two DVDs. Anyone wanting to become a substitute teacher must go through the orientation or watch the supplemental videos in the handbook.
Meanwhile, Pride explained that the school district overspent its 2007 budget by $800,000, but it did not go into the red.
Each year, the budget is built on conservative speculation, he said, and then funds are appropriated to be spent. The past year's overspending resulting from estimating too low on some appropriations.
Pride made it clear that the school district is not spending more than it is collecting to fund its budget.
Pride said, "We are OK, we just didn't ask for enough appropriations."
In other business, the board:
* Discussed the 2008-09 school calendar. It was tabled and will be considered again at the March meeting.
* Rejected the Co-Alliance fuel bid because firm figures were not given. Fuel will be purchased on the open market.
* Learned the proposal for masonry work on the high school swimming pool will be good until March 11.
In personnel matters, the board:
* Accepted the resignations of Dave Pasch as high school teacher and varsity football coach; Dan Fouts as varsity assistant trach coach; instructional assistants Kelly Collins, Mary Ann Finney and Lynda McCarty; and Roachdale office assistant Janet Thornburg.
* Approved leaves of absence for teachers Katrina Skirvin, Doreen Muncy and Shane Grimes.
* Voted to hire Anthony Gray, Mendy Ruble , Audra Millican, Cassie Stacks, Jamie Tennis and Sarah Ring as instructional assistants.
Leave of Absence for Katrina Skirvin High/Middle School Teacher
The North Putnam School Board regularly meets on the third Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. in the administration office. The meeting is open to the public. However, the April meeting is set for Wednesday, April 16.