[Nameplate] Fog/Mist ~ 72°F  
High: 90°F ~ Low: 54°F
Monday, June 27, 2016

Fire destroys home Tuesday

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

(Photo)
Fire claimed the home of John and Sheila Shoemaker, 6010 W. CR 500 South, Greencastle, early Tuesday morning. The family made it out safely before phoning fire department.
The smell of smoke was in the air following a house fire south of Greencastle early Tuesday morning.

According to Reelsville Fire Cheif John McPherson, Sheila Shoemaker found the living room of her family's home in flames after being awakened by the family dog.

She promptly gathered her three young children and dog and headed next door where she phoned the fire department.

At 2:15 a.m., the Reelsville fire station received the call to respond to the home of John and Sheila Shoemaker.

"Upon arrival at 2:27 a.m., the modular home was around 80-percent engulfed in flames," McPherson stated. "There was a garage and cars about five feet away we were able to save."

The cause is believed to be an electrical fire that began near the entertainment center, McPherson said.

The home was a total loss with a damage estimate around $80,000. The contents were valued at $30,000.

Four additional stations reported to the scene, including Greencastle Fire Department, Cloverdale Township Fire, Madison Township Fire and State Farm Fire Departments.

Operation Life was also on scene, but no injuries were reported.

McPherson said they are still waiting on the State Farm Insurance adjuster to report to the scene for a more thorough detailing of the damage estimates.

The Reelsville Fire Department returned to the station at 5:48 a.m.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

The dog should be recognized as a hero. Carbon monoxide could have easily kept the family asleep. Thank God they were all OK.

-- Posted by Xgamer on Wed, Mar 12, 2008, at 4:49 AM

Does anyone know the ages and sizes of the family - parents and children? A friend of mine had a daughter that attend school with one of the children. Maybe if we knew more information on the ages and sizes of the family members, some could make donations.

-- Posted by B4this on Wed, Mar 12, 2008, at 3:08 PM

The Shoemakers are on our prayer chain for church. If you want information on the sizes, I can send them to you. =)

melissaspencer@airhop.com

(It would have been nice to communicate to you privately on this website....cough* cough* bannergraphic!!!)

-- Posted by Sunflowermel on Wed, Mar 12, 2008, at 3:17 PM

Thank God this family is o-kay. If donations are needed, I have childrens clothing available, and some womens.

-- Posted by WONDER on Wed, Mar 12, 2008, at 3:32 PM

This is Sheila Shoemaker and I would like to thank everyone who is praying,donating,or just thinking of us.We are very lucky and very grateful to god and all the good people who we have been in contact with lately, we can't begin to tell everyone how grateful we are. As for clothes right now, we are good. So may people brought them,that we are still going through alot. God bless you all

-- Posted by sshoe71 on Thu, Mar 13, 2008, at 5:28 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: