This year, the Putnam County Queen Contest will be held on July 12 at 7 p.m. The cost of the contest is $3 per person and the doors will open up at 6:15 p.m.
Contestants will appear in professional wear, and an evening gown. Each contestant will also participate in a personal interview with the Judges prior to the contest.
Committee members include: Renee Marsteller, Beth Flint, Natalie Pritchard, Jennifer Porter, Jenney Taylor, Kelly Hilburn, Jody Parmley, Dee Bumgardner, Raymond McCloud, Lindsay Harwood, Al Harwood, Tabitha Clifford, and the 2007 Fair Queen Tara Thornburg.
Contestants should return applications to Renee Marsteller at Putnam County Juvenile Probation, 3rd Floor Courthouse, Greencastle, IN 46135 or 5147 West County Road 525 South, Greencastle, IN 46135.
Applications can also be picked up at the Putnam County Extension Office, First National Bank, Juvenile Probation and the Styling Station.
Applications are due by May 30.
Rules and Responsibilities for 2008 Putnam County Fair Queen Contestant:
* Each contestant must be at least 16 years of age and can not have had her 21st birthday as of August 15, 2008, the first day of the 2008 Indiana State Fair Queen Contest.
* Contestants must be unmarried and must never have been married.
* A contestant must be a Putnam County resident, and represent Putnam County in the state fair pageant. The only exception: she may reside in an adjoining county if she is a 4-H member in Putnam County.
* Each contestant must be an active member of at least one worthwhile organization in her community, such as church group, girls scouts, 4-H etc. and MUST have completed at least 5 years in 4-H.
* Contestant cannot have a child or be knowingly pregnant at the time of the county fair queen pageant.
* Contestants cannot have any visible tattoos or piercing, other than the ears during the competition or while representing Putnam County Fair.
* No professional model is eligible for the State Fair contest. (A professional model is one who earns her livelihood by modeling. A girl who works for a high school or college fashion board is not considered a professional model.)
* The evening of the July 12, 2008, the contest with includes each contestant appearing in two categories; professional wear and formal wear.
* Each contestant must attend and participate in the personal interview portion of the contest.
* Contestant must participate in pre-contest training sessions to be held in the Putnam County Community building beginning in June and July 2008 each week. First practice will be on June 3, 2008 at 7:30 p.m. Parents may attend the first practice and are invited to do so, all other practices are closed. Practices are mandatory. No missed meetings unless approved by the committee.
* The Fair Quest will be selected from all contestants on the basis of beauty, poise and personality which will be determined in both the preliminary judging and the evening of the public contest July 2008. Miss Congeniality will be selected by the contestants.
* Meetings are closed to contestants and committee members.
* The winner must represent Putnam County in the contest of Miss Indiana State Fair or forfeit her title and prizes to the first runner up.
* Each contestant and their parent will be required to sign a contact regarding rules and responsibilities prior to participation in the Putnam County Fair Queen Contest.
2008 Putnam County Fair Queen Committee:
Renee Marsteller, Beth Flint, Natalie Pritchard, Jenney Taylor, Raymond McCloud, Jody Parmley, Dee Bumgardner, Jennifer Porter, Kelly Hilburn, Tabitha Clifford, Lindsay Harwood, Al Harwood and 2006 Putnam County Fair Queen, Tara Thronburg.
The contest will be be July 12 at 7 p.m. in the community building at the fair grounds.
Doors open at 6:15 p.m.