[Nameplate] Fair ~ 66°F  
High: 86°F ~ Low: 68°F
Wednesday, July 27, 2016

UPDATE: Commissioners to discuss sheriff

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Putnam County Commissioners have planned an executive session for 4:30 p.m. today following Friday's resignation of Sheriff Mark Frisbie.

Commissioner Gene Beck told the Banner Graphic Sunday evening that he was not at liberty to say what the content of today's closed meeting will be, however, he said there will be a regularly scheduled public meeting at 6 p.m. in the commissioners courtroom at the Putnam County Annex.

It is anticipated that the commissioners could accept the sheriff's resignation at that time. However, Beck said he wasn't sure what the process would be.

Frisbie turned in his resignation in a sealed envelope, which he placed on county clerk Marty Watts' desk Friday evening.

Watts was not in the office when Frisbie delivered his resignation, but she found it Saturday morning when she went to her office.

The letter stated that Frisbie was resigning from his post effective immediately.

It was not clear Sunday evening whether Frisbie had surrendered his badge or any other sheriff's department property with his resignation.

Meanwhile, Putnam County Republican party chairman Larry Sutton told the Banner Graphic Saturday that there will be a caucus to elect an interim sheriff.

He said the party has 30 days from the resignation for all 29 precinct committeepersons to meet, and the majority of them will vote to decide who will serve the remainder of Frisbie's term.

Frisbie was re-elected in 2006 for a second term. His current term was set to end in 2010.

Sutton said that any interested candidates need to notify him of their intent to serve. Interested candidates may pick up the CEB-5 forms in the voter registration office. These can be obtained up to 72 hours prior to the caucus.

There was no word when that caucus would be held.

Frisbie's resignation comes in the shadow of a federal investigation alleging the misuse of Sheriff's Department funds.

As of presstime, there was no word on when any court proceedings would take place or whether the sheriff would actually be taken into federal custody.