[Nameplate] Fair ~ 59°F  
High: 67°F ~ Low: 49°F
Thursday, Apr. 28, 2016

Tiger Cubs pound Bulldogs for win, Lilly scores four goals

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

MONROVIA -- The Tiger Cubs traveled to Monrovia last night and defeated the Bulldogs 7-2 in the WCC opening match for both squads.

Junior David Cath got the Tiger Cubs on the board early, scoring the first goal of the season off a pass from sophomore Spencer Moore just six minutes into the contest. Four minutes later, senior Greg Lilly intercepted a Monrovia pass and was able to beat Bulldog's keeper Bryce Wicks to extend the GHS advantage to 2-0.

The Tiger Cubs continued to control play and kept pressure on Monrovia's back line. With 15:18 played, sophomore midfielder Cody Watson blasted an unassisted goal past Wicks increasing the GHS lead to 3-0.

Monrovia was able to push the ball deep into the Tiger Cubs end on the ensuing kickoff and was awarded a penalty kick at 16:42 played. Monrovia's Tony Patterson faced off against GHS keeper Ryan Payne, but the shot went wide right and the score remained 3-0. Lilly added another goal just past the 20-minute mark, finishing on a crossing pass from Moore.

Greencastle kept the ball in the Bulldogs end for most of the half. The Tiger Cubs were awarded a penalty kick when Wicks fouled GHS sophomore Cameron Cash inside the penalty area. Cash drilled the shot off the crossbar, but it deflected out. With 1:36 to play in the period, the Tiger Cubs gained an indirect free kick about 25 yards from the Bulldog goal. Watson touched the ball forward and Lilly ripped the shot past Wicks to put the Tiger Cubs ahead 5-0.

The second half saw a lot of play by the GHS underclassmen. Play was even until Monrovia junior Aaron Royal was able to slip a shot past GHS keeper Kyle Parker with 21:41 to play in the match.

"We failed to clear the ball around our goal a couple of times and they were able to punch one in." GHS head coach Dave Lilly said.

GHS came right back, with Lilly connecting on his fourth goal of the match, heading a shot past Wicks on another Watson assist with 16:04 remaining.

The Tiger Cubs final goal came two minutes later when Moore scored to make the score 7-1. Junior Destin Holmes provided the assist.

Late in the game, Aaron Royal added a second goal for Monrovia hitting a long shot over Parker with 8:34 to play.

"We played very well for the first game of the season. It's always nice to get the first win in conference play. We have a pretty young team this season and there are still quite a few things we must work on." Lilly commented.

Greencastle will travel to Lebanon on Thursday at 5 p.m.

At Monrovia

Greencastle 5 2 -- 7

Monrovia 0 2 -- 2

Goals -- GHS: Lilly (4), Cath, Moore, Watson; MHS: A. Royal

Assists -- GHS: Moore (2), Watson (2), Holmes

Next match -- Greencastle will travel to Lebanon on Thursday at 5 p.m

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: