[Nameplate] Fair ~ 50°F  
High: 56°F ~ Low: 37°F
Monday, Apr. 27, 2015

Don't miss Clody's One-Eye Golf Tournament Saturday

Thursday, September 11, 2008

(Photo)
Wal-Mart Transportation 2866 presented Clody's One-Eye Golf tournament organizers with a $1,000 check on Wednesday. Pictured here are (left to right) Ray Black, Sam Fernandez, Terry Clodfelter and Lauri Garl. In the back row are Don Hickey, Terry Sutherlin, Scot Olsen, Tony Sparks and Blake Schowe.
Golfing with one eye can make hitting the ball difficult sometimes. Terry Clodfelter knows this for a fact. But, so do a number of golfers who participate in Clody's One-Eye Golf Tournament every year. This year's event will take place Saturday Sept. 13 at Old Hickory Golf Course.

The tournament actually began in 1992 when a group of friends threw money in a hat, played with eye patches and the winner took all. It came about as a result of ribbing Clodfelter for missing the ball when he took up golf.

Clodfelter lost the sight in one of his eyes when he was 13 years old. While helping cut down a thorn tree in the spring, one of the thorns went into his eye. That resulted in a cataract and by the fall his vision was blurry. He went to Riley for treatment and underwent the then-new laser technique. His eyesight continued to deteriorate, however, leaving him without vision in the injured eye.

"When I took up golf everyone made fun of me because I kept missing the ball," said Clodfelter. "I told them, you try hitting the ball with one eye."

After the first tournament in 1992 the group continued to play for four years following that same format.

But in 1996 with seven or eight teams signed up, the group decided to make a difference for children with vision problems. They raised $440 that year.

By 1999 the tournament had raised more than $12,000 for children's eye care at Riley Hospital for Children.

In fact, the donations have led to the Clody's One-Eyed Golf Scramble Digital Diagnosis and Consultation Laboratory at Riley.

Over 13 years the golf tournament has raised over $100,000 and sent six Putnam County kids to Riley for eye treatment. A seventh will go in late September. All the students attended Cloverdale Community Schools. This year, the group sent e-mails and flyers to all the schools in the county letting them all know that during this year's tournament, Operation Kidsight is being offered to children free of charge at the Moose Family Center in Greencastle.

From 10 a.m. -- 2 p.m. free vision screenings will be offered to children from ages one to 18, using the most high tech equipment available for children.

"Something as simple as an eye screening can make a big difference in the life of a child. Kidsight is a great opportunity to detect potential eye problems," said Clodfelter.

A lot of fundraising surrounds the golf tourney with donations of prizes by hundreds of local merchants. Sponsors for the event are York Pontiac, Cash Concrete and Wal-Mart Transportation.

There are 45 teams currently signed up. The afternoon slots are full but there is still space for players in the morning. Golfers will tee off at 7:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, shoot a round of golf with patches over one eye and end up at the Moose Lodge for dinner and awards that evening.

The group of organizers led by Terry Clodfelter told Wal-Mart Transportation members that he expected sunshine and no rain for the event.

"It's never rained on us yet. There is a 30 percent chance of rain Saturday and that means we have a 70 percent chance of sunshine," laughed Clodfelter.

The group is already planning for next year's event in which Clodfelter is planning "something big from outside the county." The group is also hoping to be able to add a second golf event to their yearly schedule.

Anyone interested in playing can call Terry Clodfelter at 653-9322 or Tony Sparks at 653-7867. For information about the event go to www.clodysoneeyegolf.com


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Thank you Clody and all who help organize this. It is great to see all the procedes from this scramble go to local children of Putnam County for eye surgery and not to some place where we never "see" it. Have a great time ladies and gentleman and pray for sunshine. I hope this scramble continues on and doesn't die off like rumor has it. I know it is a lot of work for the Organizing Committee but your hard work is truly appreciated and this Scramble is a lot of fun.

-- Posted by HelloMcFly on Thu, Sep 11, 2008, at 8:38 AM

This is one event that as a business it's impossible to say no when they come around for donations. The commitment these folks have for this cause is amazing. Thanks for keeping it up! And have fun!!

-- Posted by townielove on Thu, Sep 11, 2008, at 9:47 AM

I Can't wait to see this years scramble get underway!

Clody, his committee and everyone who puts this event together........KUDOS TO YOU ALL!!!

THINK SUNSHINE!!!!!

(#70)

-- Posted by livnonluv on Thu, Sep 11, 2008, at 1:17 PM

I live in Florida and had told friends about the Tournament. Glad to see the article in the Banner/Graphic so I could share it with them. Lots of golf played here of course and are thinking about having a similar tournament.

-- Posted by Clody on Fri, Sep 12, 2008, at 6:39 AM

Thanks Clody, the eye examinations that were done at the Moose Lodge were great.

Your organization deserves a great amount of credit!!!

Can't wait until next year.

-- Posted by tjchopper on Sat, Sep 20, 2008, at 9:37 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: