[Nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 61°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 46°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Tiger Cubs blank Mustangs, 3-0

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

ELLETTSVILLE -- Greencastle boys' soccer went on the road Tuesday and earned a shutout over Edgewood, 3-0.

Sophomore Spencer Moore had a big day for the Tiger Cubs, as he had a part in all three of their goals on the evening.

Moore got the team started, taking a pass from Mitchell Ball and sending it past Mustang keeper Nick Theodore with 32:21 to play in the first half.

GHS would record 12 shots in the opening period, but couldn't come up with another goal. They led 1-0 at halftime.

"We had several shots hit the post and their keeper made some excellent saves to keep them in the game in the first half. We probably should have been ahead 3-0 at that point," commented GHS coach Dave Lilly.

The Tiger Cubs had scored another goal by Brandon Query, but it was called off by the center official for a foul on the play. Ryan Payne made 6 saves for Greencastle in the half.

The second half play was controlled mainly by the Tiger Cubs, who again outshot the Mustangs 10-5 in the period.

At 15:04 to play, Moore netted his second goal of the game, assisted by Destin Holmes.

With 7:21 remaining in the match, Moore received a ball from Cody Watson on a corner kick and he flicked it to Greg Lilly. Lilly was able to finish on the play to extend the Tiger Cubs lead to 3-0.

In the JV match the Tiger Cubs won 2-0 in 40 minutes of play. Holmes scored first, assisted by Jon Good. Ball scored an unassisted goal in the final minutes of play to put Greencastle ahead 2-0.

The Tiger Cubs (10-2) will visit WCC conference rival Speedway on Thursday. The varsity match is scheduled to begin 5:30 p.m. with the JV game to follow.

At Edgewood

Greencastle1 2 -- 3
Edgewood0 0 -- 0

Goals -- S. Moore 2, G. Lilly.

Assists -- Ball, Holmes, S. Moore.

JV results


Goals -- Holmes, Ball.

Assists -- Good.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: