The group held its last meeting in September. Age played a factor in the group's decision to disband. The youngest of its 11 members is 76 years old. Members noted there was trouble seizing the younger generation's interest in reading.
The club's purpose was to promote the mental and social culture of its members.
The club's roots go back to when the roads were gravel and libraries did not exist (July 29, 1904 to be exact). Edna Street Logan and four other ladies decided to get together and trade books, said Barbara Brookshire, the group's most recent president.
In 1912, the group chose to create a place where the love of reading could grow. The first location was opened in August behind a hardware store.
The group continued to work towards a Carnegie Library, which were built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie.
Their efforts were rewarded Jan. 15, 1914, when the Carnegie Library was dedicated. It still remains today as a township library supported by township taxes.
Besides the library, Philomath Club supported the needy during tough times in 1912; provided flood relief in 1913; hosted programs honoring boys serving in 1918; cared for a French War orphan in 1919; sponsored Girl Scouts and Brownies in 1944; and for the past 15 years presented a North Putnam freshman with an Outstanding Choral certificate.
Its final act as a club was using the remaining treasury to purchase books for the library. One book was purchased in honor of each member.