[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 48°F  
High: 57°F ~ Low: 45°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Mobile Unit offering easy signup access for FSSA assistance

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Indianapolis - Indiana's Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) along with Putnam County Hospital are partnering together to bring DFRv - a fully functional Division of Family Resources office on wheels - to the Greencastle community.

DFRv travels across the state visiting different communities to help needy families become aware of the extra assistance for which they qualify.

The mobile office is equipped with all the amenities that are needed to serve clients while out on the road.

This mobile operation will be available to help Hoosiers file applications for Division of Family Resources programs at Teacher's Credit Union, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. DFRv offers assistance in filing applications for healthcare and cash assistance programs.

While on site, citizens will be able to apply, report changes, or ask questions about these available programs: HIP (Healthy Indiana Plan), Medicaid, Job Training, Food Stamps and Hoosier Healthwise.

"Anyone eligible for any of these programs can sign up. This is a real plus. The more people enrolled in these programs, the better it is for the county," said Dennis Weatherford, Putnam County Hospital Administrator.

Teacher's Credit Union is located at 33 Putnam Plaza in Greencastle. To learn more about DFR and the program requirements call 1-800-403-0864 or visit online at http://www.in.gov/fssa/2407.htm.

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

The only people it does help are the ones that don't want to get out and try to find a job. Just keep using the county taxpayor's money!

-- Posted by clovertaxpayor on Thu, Apr 30, 2009, at 9:54 AM

We are all paying for these people to be on these programs! How can this be benefical for the county. I would prefer people to go get jobs and work for what they have, that is what I have chosen to do. Yes, there are jobs out there. If you have to, work more than one job, but provide for your OWN family so others in the county don't have to. There are people who truly need these services, but not all who receive state assistance truly need it. This county has so many families that have lived on state assistance for many generations. People, take responsibilty for your actions and support yourselves!!!

-- Posted by beachbum on Thu, Apr 30, 2009, at 9:59 AM

I work fulltime. I attend a college payed for by grants and loans. I cannot afford insurance for my kids and have to get assistance for that through the Hoosier Healthwise Program. Am I a bad person for trying to keep things together? The point being not everyone out there is abusing the system and someday you may need help too.

-- Posted by citizenoftheworld on Thu, Apr 30, 2009, at 10:20 AM

I agree, this program doesn't help me or my family. I work everyday, I make enough not to quailfy for any aid, not to quailfy for aid in sending my children to college, I cut corners and save all I can and yet I have to pay taxes to send other kids to college on Pell Grants.

-- Posted by Trying hard on Thu, Apr 30, 2009, at 10:42 AM

For those of you who don't understand how the assistance programs work, let me give you some insight. It is not for lazy people who do not want to work. If you do not have a job you are required to be enrolled in the impact program. Impact works with you to get training and find a job. If you do not follow the guidelines for the assistance you are applying you can be terminated and denied assistance. Although tax money goes toward the assistance programs, the people on the programs are required to work in order to receive the assistance and pay taxes like everyone else.

-- Posted by speedqueen on Thu, Apr 30, 2009, at 12:48 PM

Taco Bell is hiring!

-- Posted by nikkilpn on Thu, Apr 30, 2009, at 2:38 PM

Pointer, as someone who has managed the Enrollment and Finance Department for the nation's largest private university in the country; I can tell you that it is highly unlikely that you live in Putnam County and make too much to receive any Financial Aid for your children to attend college. There are only 3 reasons why yourself or your children would not qualify for ANY Financial Aid, 1.) You have a defaulted student loan that has not gone through a 6 month re-establishment program. 2.) You make over $250,000 per year. 3.) You have a drug felony that has not been cleared by attending a drug rehab program. There are no other reasons that would prevent you or your children from obtaining aid. My guess is that you just didn't qualify for a Pell grant, which along with the SEOG and FSEOG grants are for the most extreme poverty stricken families. Just to put it in perspective, only 1 in 5 students recieve any form of Grant and even less recieve Pell. If your students took out a Stafford or Perkins Loand, they received Aid. I would however suggest that if you paid cash for your students to attend school, you obviously decided not to take advantage of the Aid offered to you. Federal Financial Aid (Title 4 Funding) is a combination of loans and grants and is available to ALL students who wish to apply and meet the 3 qualifications outlined above. Utilize the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) to apply for and receive the Financial Aid that is available to you.

-- Posted by bluntbuthonest on Thu, Apr 30, 2009, at 11:07 PM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: