Greencastle Fire Department
Greencastle Fire Department was dispatched to Tzouanakis Elementary, 500 Linwood Drive, at 1:32 p.m. Wednesday as a result of a fire alarm in the boy's restroom.
Although it turned out to be a false alarm, students were evacuated from the building and had to stand in the pouring rain for about 10 minutes.
The alarm was tripped by a leak that caused water to get into the smoke detector, TZ principal Dan TeGrotenhuis said.
"We didn't know it was a false alarm, and unfortunately the students had to go outside in the midst of a pouring rain," he said. "We just didn't know. When an alarm goes off, you've got to go. It was an unlucky time for it to happen, but you don't have leaks when it's sunny and warm out."
TeGrotenhuis commended Greencastle Fire Department for its quick response. He said letters were sent home to parents explaining the situation.
A Reelsville man became trapped under a lawn mower Saturday, while hauling a trailer filled with gravel.
Jerry Fisler was driving the lawn mower around 6:30 p.m., when the heavy trailer caused it and the mower to tip and land on top of him. He was trapped for approximately 10 minutes before fire crews were able to lift the trailer and mower off him.
Fisler suffered a broken hip and possible crushed pelvis. Air Evac flew him to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis for treatment of his injuries.
Greencastle fire crews were dispatched to the scene at 6:38, but were disregarded by Reelsville while in route. They were back in service at 6:59 p.m.
A meter base of a house was struck by lightning during recent area storms. Greencastle Fire Department was dispatched to 618 Crescent Drive at 8:03 p.m. Wednesday, but the lightning strike did not result in a fire.
Crews were back in service at 9:25 p.m.
Crews responded to a small electrical fire in a semi at 6:56 p.m. Saturday on US 231 near Brick Chapel. The fire had been extinguished before they arrived.
They were back in service at 7:15 p.m.
Smoke from a basement ceiling fan caused smoke alarms to sound. Crews were dispatched to a home at 1900 Sandlewood Drive at 9:25 p.m. Saturday, but the power had been turned off before their arrival.
They were back in service at 9:51 p.m.
Crews have responded to several motor vehicle accidents since Saturday.
A parked vehicle at 602 E. Washington St. was struck by another vehicle Sunday. Injuries were reported. Crews were dispatched at 9 p.m. and back in service at 9:24 p.m.
On Tuesday, crews were dispatched to a two-vehicle accident at 615 S. Bloomington St. They were dispatched at 2:34 and back in service at 2:54 p.m.
Crews were dispatched to 404 E. Washington St., Wednesday for a motor vehicle accident, which resulted in no injures. They were called out at 3:28 p.m. and back in service at 3:35 p.m.
Crews were dispatched to a fire alarm at 4:26 p.m. Saturday at 420 S. Anderson St. No problem was found. They were back in service at 4:39 p.m.
Crews were dispatched at 5:26 p.m. Saturday to a fire alarm at 11 E. Laribee St. No problem was found. They were back in service at 5:42 p.m.
Crews were dispatched at 4:28 p.m. Sunday to 126 E. Walnut St., for a lift assist. They were back in service at 4:41 p.m.
Crews were dispatched at 8:45 a.m. Tuesday to 1624 W. CR 225S for a gas leak. The county highway department was digging for a storm drain and struck the gas line. They were back in service at 11 a.m.
Crews were dispatched at 4:06 p.m. Tuesday to 106 Spring St. for a fire alarm due to cooking. They were back in service at 4:30 p.m.
Crews were dispatched at 6:56 p.m. Tuesday to 1011 Judson Court for kitchen fire. The fire was extinguished before crews arrived. They were back in service at 7:23 p.m.
Crews responded to a tree down on Bloomington Street near Robe-Ann Park. They were dispatched at 8:26 p.m. Wednesday and were back in service at 8:38 p.m.
Crews were dispatched at 7:15 a.m. Thursday to Alpha Tau Omega, 504 E. Seminary St., for a fire alarm due to water. They were back in service at 7:40 a.m.
Crews were dispatched at 12:39 p.m. Thursday to 250N and 190W for an investigation into a smoke column. They were back in service at 1 p.m.
Eight minutes later, crews were called back to the scene to provide equipment and manpower to Vanbibber and Bainbridge fire crews. They were back in service at 2:05 p.m.
Putnam County Jail
Several people were booked into the Putnam County Jail recently.
Michael Glover, 48, Greencastle, was booked at 5:48 p.m. Tuesday for operating while intoxicated, public intoxication and probation violation.
Richie Goul, 19, Greencastle, was booked at 1:20 a.m. Wednesday for public intoxication and possessing alcohol as a minor.
Eric Billings, 23, Greencastle, was booked at 3:47 a.m. Wednesday for operating while intoxicated.
Jeffrey Syrus, 56, Cloverdale, was booked at 6:05 p.m. Wednesday for operating while intoxicated and operating per se.
Christina Walters, 33, Fillmore, was booked at 5:04 p.m. Wednesday for check deception.
David McCaslin, 45, Avon, was booked at 7:58 p.m. Wednesday for violating the terms of home detention.