[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 21°F  
High: 27°F
Friday, Feb. 12, 2016

Judge rejects plea in Norlin case

Thursday, July 16, 2009

(Photo)
GREENCASTLE -- The plea agreement for a Cloverdale man charged with sexual misconduct with a minor has been rejected by the Putnam County Circuit Court Judge.

Instead, William E. Norlin, 53, will face a jury trial in October for two counts of Class C felony child molesting, Class C felony sexual misconduct with a minor and Class D felonies Child seduction and performing sexual conduct in the presence of a minor.

If convicted on all charges, Norlin could face up to 30 years in prison.

Judge Matthew Headley had taken the plea agreement under advisement with the sentencing set for Thursday had he approved. However, the agreement was thrown out.

Norlin was arrested Jan. 22 and initially pled not guilty to all charges. However, on May 7, Norlin pled guilty to the sexual misconduct with a minor charge. The plea agreement would have dismissed all other charges. Sentencing was set for June 4.

On June 1, Norlin's court-appointed attorney James Recker requested a continuance of sentencing. Headley granted the request and reset sentencing for June 18.

At the request of both parties, Norlin's sentencing was continued again to Thursday.

Class C felonies are punishable by up to eight years in prison, while Class D felonies carry a maximum sentence of three years.

Norlin was arrested after Child Protective Services reported his alleged victim told a CPS representative that Norlin had been molesting her since she was 11 years old, court documents said.

Norlin was released from jail on Jan. 26 after posting a $25,000 cash bond.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

This man has no idea as to what he has done to this poor girl. As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, by my grandfather, I know what she is up agaisnt and my heart goes out to her and her family. It has taken me years, I am now in my 50's, and I was only 4 when my abuse started, I still have nightmares and guilt that I carry with me all the time. I can put it behind me, but then it rears it's ugly head again and I am "lost" in the memories once again. This man should get the maximum sentence for his crime, and yet that isn't enough, for the one whom he abused has a life sentence.

-- Posted by whatnext on Fri, Jul 17, 2009, at 8:22 AM

Thank you Judge Headley! I am sure the people of this county are tired of child molesters getting a slap on the wrist with plea bargains. Now you should make sure he gets the maximum time served consecutively and not concurrently. Shame on the prosecutors office for continually offering these plea bargains for so little time. These freaks (child molesters) are manipulating the system so they can get out as soon as possible so they can re-offend. Headley, give the victims of these crimes the satisfaction of at least knowing they will never have to see their offenders in society again.

-- Posted by NotSoInnocent on Fri, Jul 17, 2009, at 11:45 AM

I will pay for the bullet!

-- Posted by 1stamendrights on Fri, Jul 17, 2009, at 2:51 PM

Wished the Banner would have asked the judge why he didn't want to go along with the guilty plea. Could it have been because the proposed sentence was too light in the judge's opinion? Could it have been because the defendant was unsure if he really wanted to plead to the charges?

-- Posted by purple_heat on Fri, Jul 17, 2009, at 8:17 PM

I would like to know why this man is being allowed to live at his home, with his 3 children and many neighboring children? The original police report said he was arrested for insest, which would imply that it was one of his own children? Would the courts really allow him to live in the same home as the child whom he abused?

-- Posted by Greencastle7 on Fri, Jul 17, 2009, at 10:35 PM

Just put this guy into the general population in prison and pass the word around that he is a child molesteor....Nature will take its course, and it will be slow and painful. That should do it.

-- Posted by Tayter on Sat, Jul 18, 2009, at 9:41 AM

THEY HOUSE THIS TYPE NOW IN A PRISON AT P.FIELD KNOW AS THE OLD IYC INDIANA YOUTH CENTER....CLEAR AWAY FROM THE GENERAL POP. FOR SECURITY REASONS HA

-- Posted by BIG DOG DADDY on Tue, Jul 21, 2009, at 1:58 PM

To Greencastle7. I'm with you on this one. However I have one question. Is his wife allowing him to live at home with her and any children in the home? If so, she should be brought up on charges also. I would have thought after he manned up, he would remain in jail!!!

-- Posted by whodouthinkur on Fri, Jul 24, 2009, at 7:19 AM

FYI, fortunately not all sex offenders are sent to Plainfield where they are with others of their same disgusting nature. Depends on what the pervert is actually convicted of, length of sentence, etc.., hopefully, all perverts will end up in general population somewhere where, eventually, their crimes will get out and prisoner justice will be served.

-- Posted by NotSoInnocent on Fri, Jul 24, 2009, at 7:48 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: