[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 59°F  
High: 63°F ~ Low: 41°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Appeal filed in Baker case

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

GREENCASTLE -- The attorney representing a Cloverdale man convicted in June of Class A felony child molesting has filed an appeal on his client's behalf.

James Recker filed the appeal in the case of Jeffrey L. Baker, 51, with the Putnam County Circuit Court.

On June 11, Judge Matthew Headley entered a judgment of conviction to a Class A felony count of child molesting and sentenced Baker to 40 years -- 30 at the Indiana Department of Corrections and 10 years on probation. Headley also ruled that Baker should be deemed a sexually violent predator, which means that upon his release from prison he will have to register on a database and be monitored via GPS for the rest of his life.

Baker was arrested on Dec. 5, and has been lodged at the Putnam County Jail since that time. He is listed on the Indiana Department of Corrections Web site as "central office admin inbound," which means he is awaiting transfer to a DOC facility.

Baker was charged with one count of Class A felony child molesting and one count of Class C felony child molesting after a joint investigation by the Putnam County Department of Child Services and the Putnam County Sheriff's Department. According to court records, Baker had sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl on more than one occasion.

Baker initially pled not guilty to both charges, but eventually admitted to authorities that he had molested the girl. He told police he had a problem, had been dealing with it for several years and needed help.

A jury trial was set for Baker on May 13, but on May 12 he entered a guilty plea to the Class A felony. Under the terms of a plea agreement, the Class C felony charge was dismissed.

The victim, now 14, lives in Delphi with her father.

At his sentencing, family members told the court Baker had been a victim of sexual abuse as a child.

Baker did not take the stand in his own defense.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

I can't believe there's this many child molesters around. What is wrong with these people? Can't they find someone who is around thier age and leave these children alone? Sick Sick Sick!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by dicktracy on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 7:53 AM

I think they have been here, now they think it's ok to come out of the closet.

-- Posted by Sand mann on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 8:49 AM

This is a total waste of time and tax payers money. He pled guilty and was given 30 years instead of the max of 50 he was originally faced with and now he has the gall to appeal. What about the lifetime sentence he has given the young girl he molested for years.

-- Posted by clovermom on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 1:41 PM

THESE CREEPS NEED TO BE FIXED.....

IT SHOULD BE PART OF THEIR REHABILITATION PROCESS MAKE IT MANDITORY.....

-- Posted by takeastand on Mon, Aug 31, 2009, at 8:21 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: