GREENCASTLE -- For those planning a trip outside the country, mission work or a holiday vacation, the Greencastle Post Office will be accepting passport applications from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 25.
The Greencastle Post Office is located at 8 E. Walnut St.
Tit is recommended that customers come in as early as possible to apply for their passports -- at least eight weeks or earlier before their departure -- to avoid any extra costs involved in expediting their application. The U.S. Department of State is currently reporting four to six-week processing times for routine passport applications.
It costs $100 total for adults (16 years and older), with separate payments of $25 to the U.S. Postal Service for its processing fee and $75 paid to the State Department for the passport application fee. For persons under 16, the cost is $85, with separate payments $25 to the Postal Service and $60 to the State Department.
For expedited passport service, add $60 for each application, payable to the State Department. In such cases, the applicant also incurs overnight (Express Mail) delivery costs, payable to USPS.
Passports photos will be available at the Greencastle Post Office for $15. The application fee must be paid with cash or check. Credit or debit cards, as well as cash or checks, may be used to cover the cost of photos and the acceptance fee.
To help the passport application process go smoothly and efficiently, the Postal Service recommends the following:
* Bring in proper proof of American citizenship. This must be either a certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state; a previous U.S. passport; a certificate of citizenship; or a naturalization certificate. (Please note: a hospital-issued birth certificate alone is not acceptable.)
* Bring in proof of identity. This must be either a previous U.S. passport; a certificate of citizenship; or a current valid driver's license, government ID or military photo ID.
* Passport photograph services will be provided on site for a fee of $15.
* To save time, customers can download a passport application at www.usps.com/passport to complete their application beforehand.
* All applicants must appear in person (including minors). Applicants under the age of 16 must appear with both parents. If one parent is not available, a notarized authorization from the absent parent is required.