At 6:25 p.m., Greencastle Fire Department was dispatched to a fire at Mikey's Tobacco Shop, 5 Putnam Plaza. Greencastle Police were the first to arrive on the scene, finding the front windows black and water from sprinklers rushing under the locked front door.
Firefighters arrived on the scene at 6:31 p.m. and had the blaze under control by 6:57 p.m. Greencastle Fired Department assistant chief Jeff Mace said two sprinkler heads kept the fire at bay until crews arrived.
Besides Greencastle fire and police, other agencies on the scene were Cloverdale, Madison Township, Bainbridge and Fillmore fire departments, as well as the Bainbridge command center, Operation Life, Putnam County Sheriff's Department and Putnam County Health Department.
The store, owned by Michael Coons, sustained significant fire and water damage. Mace estimated property damage to be $25,000 and $100,000 for contents.
The fire started in the counter area, and while no official cause has been determined, electrical has not been ruled out.
Smoke spread to the two adjacent businesses, Great China Buffet and T and T Nails. Both were evacuated. T and T sustained some water damage, while Great China Buffet had to be shut down for the evening and all food discarded.
Crews cleared the scene at 9:05 p.m.