[Nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 61°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 46°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Greencastle defeats Crawfordsville 4-2

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Greencastle junior Brandon Query looked down field during Tuesday's contest with Crawfordsville. [Order this photo]
GREENCASTLE -- The Greencastle boys' soccer team stayed perfect on the season with its 4-2 win over Crawfordsville Tuesday.

The Tiger Cubs got the win, but dodged a bullet early when Crawfordsville's Cole Priebe pushed the ball down field and got past GHS keeper Kyle Parker. With Parker down, Priebe was staring at an open net, but his kick sailed to the right and the score remained 0-all.

Greencastle was the first to strike when Evan Smith blasted a shot into Crawfordsville's net with 17:23. Six minutes later, Brandon Query, while dribbling in traffic, stopped and popped a shot into the top corner of the net to give Greencastle a 2-0 lead.

"The first half I really liked," GHS head coach Dave Lilly said. "We dodged a bullet when Kyle came out and the guy was one-on and missed it, but as I told Kyle at halftime, it must have been meant to be because they didn't get the goal. Otherwise, they're up and it might have been a different thing.

"I felt like we were controlling the ball better and we had more possession in the end and we were pressuring them, but then it can be a funny game. Then all of a sudden you're playing from behind and it's happened to us time and time again," he added.

Crawfordsville got into the scoring act with 30:25 on the clock when Matt Mummert connected on a shot to pull the Athenians within one point at 2-1.

The Tiger Cubs scored again when Crawfordsville's keeper deflected Smith's shot and Spencer Moore blasted the rebound for a 3-1 Tiger Cub lead.

Greencastle's final score of the contest came with 6:26 on the clock as Sonney Basham scored on a crossing pass, giving Greencastle a 4-1 lead.

Priebe scored Crawfordsville's final goal of the night, but it came too late as the Tiger Cubs held on for a 4-2 win.

Lilly was pleased with the win, but wasn't pleased with the goals his team gave up in the second half. However, he felt his team worked hard from start to finish to notch its fifth win.

"I was glad to see us get the couple-goal lead at the half," Lilly said. "I really wasn't happy with the two goals they got in the second half. We wanted to try to win the second half as well. Shutouts have been elusive for us and we got a new back line. We graduated three guys off our back line, so even though we have returning guys back there, we've got some guys in different roles.

"We knew who their go-to guys were and each of them ended up getting a goal off us in the second half," he continued. "I didn't like to see that. I liked our work rate. I think we out-worked them in general across the numbers. In all positions we had guys working harder than they did.

"But, it's early and it's another win and hopefully it will continue," Lilly concluded.

At Greencastle

Greencastle 2 2 -- 4

Crawfordsville 0 2 -- 2

First Half

17:23 -- Smith (GHS)

12:04 -- Query (GHS)

Second Half

30:25 -- Mummert (CHS)

27:04 -- Moore (GHS)

6:26 -- Basham (GHS)

3:19 -- Priebe (CHS)