Hughes grew up in southeastern Putnam County and was a member of the last graduating sixth-grade class at Belle Union Elementary in 1984. He is a 1990 graduate of South Putnam High School and a 1994 graduate of DePauw University, where he majored in chemistry and mathematics.
In 1998, he completed his doctoral studies at Indiana University, receiving a Ph. D. in computational chemistry. He currently works for IU on the Bloomington campus as a research engineer in the field of high-performance computing.
He lives in Warren Township with his wife, Beverly, and his son, who is happily enrolled in the fourth grade at Central Elementary.
"I am delighted for the opportunity to raise my family in the heart of Eagle Country, where hardy values and a strong sense of community still prevail," Hughes said. "I am seeking a position on the South Putnam School Board this fall because I am keenly interested in ensuring that our children's educational experience is the best that it can possibly be.
"I believe that having parents of South Putnam students directly represented on the board is vitally important to achieving this important goal, particularly in these uncertain times when educators at all levels are continually faced with extremely difficult decisions," he continued. "As a community member and frequent participant in school activities, I know that parents often find it difficult to keep abreast of school corporation matters and to communicate their concerns to the administration in a timely manner."
Hughes has set a number of specific goals, including:
* Enhance communication of School Board activities via the Internet and social media.
* Examine avenues for leveraging the talents of parents and other constituents in bettering the schools.
* Make himself readily available to discuss important issues by phone, e-mail, and in person, serving as an advocate and true representative for South Putnam taxpayers.
* Identify creative methods for the efficient use of funds and expanded educational opportunities.
* Explore all possible channels for additional funding.
* Ensure fiscal prudence as we continue to move through an uncertain funding landscape.
"As your school board representative, I will always be available to listen to your concerns and discuss important issues with you," Hughes said. "Working together, we can help ensure that our school system operates as effectively as possible. South Putnam truly is a great place to learn, and I would be honored for the chance to help make it even better.