REELSVILLE -- The Reelsville Fire Department was dispatched to a fire Sunday at the home of one of their own firefighters.
At 7:25 a.m. the department was dispatched to a fire at 8012 S 635 W to a home owned by Larry and Chell Atkinson.
"There were flames showing outside and inside of the house," Reelsville fire chief John McPherson said.
McPherson said the house was basically destroyed.
"We used about 10,000 gallons to extinguish the fire," McPherson said.
McPherson said they estimated the damage at about $70,000 for the house and another $20,000 for the contents of the home.
The fire was caused by something left on a base-board heater.
McPherson said since the fire involved members of his own department, it was different from other fires.
"It's a lot different when its one of your own," McPherson said. "I was the first on the scene and rolling up there was a shock."
McPherson said that the couple was in Indianapolis with family at the time of the fire.
"Nobody was hurt in the fire," McPherson said. "Even the cat made it out."
The fire was out by 9 a.m., and the department was back in service by 12:11 p.m.
McPherson said that the department was considering organizing a fundraiser for the family.
The fire triggered aid from the Greencastle Fire Department, Cloverdale Township Fire Department, Madison Township Fire Department and the State Farm Fire Department. The Putnam County arson task force assisted in the investigation.