INDIANAPOLIS -- Companies striking the right balance of taking care of employees and operating a successful organization were recognized May 5 at the Indiana Roof Ballroom by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.
The group unveiled rankings for the 70 companies from across the state that made the 2011 Best Places to Work in Indiana list.
Two central Indiana companies walked away with top honors. E-gineering, a technology consulting firm on the northeast side of Indianapolis that began operations in 2000, took first place in the small- to medium-sized employer category. Among large employers it was the Microsoft Corp., whose local office has delivered business consulting on software and technology solutions for more than 20 years.
Five companies -- Ash Brokerage (Fort Wayne), Columbus Regional Hospital, Edward Jones (statewide), Katz, Sapper and Miller (Indianapolis) and KPMG (Indianapolis) -- have made the Best Places to Work list all six years of the program's existence.
The top companies in the state are determined through employer reports and comprehensive employee surveys. Winners were selected from two categories: small to medium-sized companies of between 15 and 249 U.S. employees, and large-sized companies consisting of 250 or more employees nationwide. Out-of-state parent companies were eligible to participate if at least 15 full-time employees are in Indiana.
"E-gineering and Microsoft embody what strong workplaces should look like -- they are rooted in respect, teamwork and good communication, and, where possible, promote professional growth," states Indiana Chamber President Kevin Brinegar. "All the organizations honored tonight are exemplary employers that foster a positive and productive work environment."
More information about the Best Places to Work companies is available via a special section of the May/June issue of the Indiana Chamber's BizVoice magazine, a statewide publication released tonight and accessible online at www.bizvoicemagazine.com.
At the dinner, representatives from all designated companies were presented with Best Place to Work awards of excellence.
All companies that participated in the 2011 Best Places to Work program receive an in-depth evaluation identifying strengths and weaknesses according to their employees. In turn, this report can be used in developing or enhancing employee retention and recruitment programs.
In addition to Comcast, Best Places to Work in Indiana is sponsored by: Energy Systems Group, LLC; Horseshoe Casino Hammond; Mussett Nicholas + Associates, Inc.; Networks Financial Institute; Purdue University; Trilogy Health Services; FedEx; Indiana Wesleyan University -- School of Business and Leadership; Jackson Lewis LLP; Matrix Integration, LLC; Roche Diagnostics Corporation; and Smithville Communications, Inc.
The list of the 2011 Best Places to Work in Indiana companies by ranking:
Large Companies (250 or more employees)
1. Microsoft Corporation, Indianapolis
2. Edward Jones, Statewide
3. Centier Bank, Merrillville
4. Interactive Intelligence, Inc., Indianapolis
5. ExactTarget, Indianapolis
6. St. Joseph Hospital, Kokomo
7. Aerotek, Indianapolis
8. WestPoint Financial Group, Indianapolis
9. Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company, Fort Wayne
10. Cassidy Turley, Indianapolis
11. The Capital Group Companies, Inc., Carmel
12. Blue & Co., LLC, Carmel
13. Ogletree Deakins Law Firm, Indianapolis
14. Shiel Sexton Company, Inc., Indianapolis
15. WOW! Internet~Cable~Phone, Evansville
16. Hilliard Lyons, Evansville
17. Hall, Render, Killian, Heath and Lyman, P.C., Indianapolis
18. Hendricks Regional Health, Danville
19. Neace Lukens, Indianapolis
20. Ash Brokerage Corporation, Fort Wayne
21. RW Armstrong, Indianapolis
22. Clifton Gunderson LLP, Indianapolis
23. Medtronic, Warsaw
24. Union Hospital, Inc., Terre Haute
25. Pepper Construction Company of Indiana, LLC, Indianapolis
26. KPMG LLP, Indianapolis
27. RCI, Carmel
28. Healthcare Therapy Services, Inc., Greenwood
29. Trilogy Health Services, LLC, Noblesville
30. American Structurepoint, Inc., Indianapolis
31. Hancock Regional Hospital, Greenfield
32. Good Samaritan Hospital, Vincennes
33. Columbus Regional Hospital, Columbus
34. Monarch Beverage, Indianapolis
35. Turner Construction Company of Indiana, LLC, Indianapolis
36. Horseshoe Casino, Hammond