The Heritage Preservation Society of Putnam County (HPS) will recognize the Putnam County Playhouse for 50 years of cultural contributions to the community with the dedication of a Heritage Wall plaque Saturday morning.
The ceremony is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at the Masonic Temple Plaza on the corner of Vine and Washington streets in downtown Greencastle.
Established in 1961, the Playhouse is one of the oldest community theaters in Indiana. The all-volunteer organization has spanned generations in providing theater arts to the community.
Located in a restored and repurposed 1918 barn donated by the late Hazel Day Longden, the original barn-like atmosphere has been carefully preserved as countless individual and communities have enjoyed the opportunity to enjoy live theater.
Established and dedicated in 2001, the Heritage Wall is located and displayed on the business building at 26 E. Washington St. in space donated by building owners Lester and Judy Wilson.
Purpose of the Heritage Wall is to recognize, encourage, educate and promote interest in the contributions, culture and value of preserving the heritage of Putnam County.
The Heritage Wall recognizes the contribution of homes, business buildings, properties, public structures, events, individuals and families that significantly impacted the local heritage and history on a local, national and global stage.
The Heritage Preservation Society of Putnam County takes several factors into consideration in reviewing applications for plaques to go on the Heritage Wall. Those factors include:
-- Contributions to the culture and heritage of Putnam County.
-- Historically significant buildings, organizations and/or businesses representing the riches of the past whose history is considered to be of value to present generations.
-- Contributions to the culture and heritage of Putnam County by persons and families that have endured generation to generation.
-- Events that have impacted the history and way of life in Putnam County and beyond.