A June 27 emergency order from Indiana State Fire Marshal James L. Greeson required the building at 11 W. Franklin St. be closed immediately and vacated for the purpose of preparing and selling food until the three violations could be corrected.
The problems all revolve around the restaurant's kitchen exhaust hood and exhaust fan. The fire marshal's order says there is significant grease buildup behind exhaust hood filters, in ductwork visible from apartment 4 and on top of the roof around the exhaust fan.
Additionally, the marshal's report said there is open electrical wiring in the closet of apartment 4 and on the roof that leads to the exhaust fan, another code violation.
The report finally said the hood is not being maintained, it leaks grease and is possible emitting carbon monoxide into apartment 4 and is in direct contact with combustible material.
Greencastle Fire Chief Bill Newgent said the city has been in contact with Mario and Jorge Martinez of Los Martinez. He said the business owners are working on getting a contractor to fix the problem and reopen.