LAFAYETTE -- Greencastle junior Colleen Weatherford took top individual honors at the McCutcheon Invite Saturday and helped GHS win the team championship, outscoring Kankakee Valley by four points, 49-53.
Weatheford won the invite with a time of 20:26.79, almost a full minute over second place finisher from Tri-County's, Micaela Sheldon.
GHS head coach Garry Anderson said his team ran out well from the intial gun and made the other team adjust to their quick start.
"Our girls from position No. 1 to No. 8 did a nice job of maintaining the front positions throughout the first K. We were still in great position when we came to the large hills," Anderson said.
He said his team has been working on hills since early August and it came in handy on Saturday.
"The girls took advantage of the hills and were able to pass their opposition on both the up and down portion of the hills. This was probably what gave us the win for the meet," Anderson said.
Anderson noted that Weatherford was able to jump out early and didn't look back. The junior maintained almost minute lead from start to finish. She received great supporting performances from Emily Gill who finished seventh with a time of 22:15.05, Kayla Cash who finsihed ninth with a time of 22:37.83 and Paige Pickens who placed 12th with a time of 23:11.52.
"Kayla Cash had a great race and was where she should be to make our team stronger," Anderson said.
"We knew going into the meet that our toughest competition was going to be Kankakee Valley, McCutcheon and Lafayette Jeff. Tri County, another real tough team, was a complete surprise addition that we didn't know about until we got to the race. Both Kankakee and Tri County are expected to do well in their area come IHSAA Tournament time," Anderson said.
Megan Haynes finished 21st with a time of 23:50.65, with Alex Stoffregen finishing 24th in a time of 24:08.88. Cheyenne Fauvergue was 29th in a time of 24:58.38, Abigail Wilson was 33rd in 25:17.77, Sammy Haynes was 36th in a time of 26:34.34 and Madi Marsteller was 56th with a time of 28:14.36.
"Our younger kids -- Alex Stoffregen and Megan Haynes-- really improved their times and where a big factor in the final score. Overall the team responded with more enthusiasm and determination than in our first meet. The next meet will be the Terre Haute North State Preview meet at the Laverne Gibson course in Terre Haute," Anderson said.
At McCutcheon Invite
1. Greencastle 49, 2. Kankakee Valley 53, 3. Tri County 81, 4. McCutcheon 85, 5. Lafayette Jefferson 130 6. North Montgomery 175, 7. Benton Central 179, 8. Clinton Prairie 179, 9. Frontier INC, 10. Central Catholic INC, 11. Ind'apolis Manual INC
1. Weatherford, Colleen (GHS) 20:26.79
2. Sheldon, Micaela (TRI) 21:28.74
3. Medrano, Monica (LJ) 21:38.88
4. Kent, Michelle (KAN) 21:57.93
5. Stepp, Brittany (KAN) 22:01.01
6. Barbarich, Rose (TRI) 22:09.16
7. Gill, Emily (GHS) 22:15.05
8. Rockley, Allison (KAN)22:24.54
9. Cash, Kayla (GHS) 22:37.83
10. MakHoffman, Hayley (BC) 22:49.38
Other Greencastle Times:
12. Pickens, Paige 23:11.52
21. Haynes, Megan 23:50.65
24. Stoffregen, Alex 24:08.88
29. Fauvergue, Cheyenne 24:58.38
33. Wilson, Abigail 25:17.77
36. Haynes, Sammy 26:34.34
56. Marsteller, Madison 28:14.36