[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 64°F  
High: 67°F ~ Low: 49°F
Thursday, Apr. 28, 2016

Van destroyed by fire in Kroger parking lot

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A normal vehicle malfunction quickly turned scary Tuesday morning as fire destroyed a van in the Kroger parking lot.

William Crowley told Greencastle Fire Department official he had been having trouble starting his Chrysler Town & Country recently. It seemed to be this same problem again around 9 a.m. at Kroger when Crowley's van started, but it quickly died.

The Greencastle man was about to turn the ignition switch again when he looked in his rear view mirror and saw flames coming from under the vehicle.

GFD was dispatched at 9:03 a.m. to a vehicle fire at the Kroger gas pumps. When they arrived they found the vehicle was actually near the gas pumps, in the westernmost row of the grocery parking lot.

Assistant Chief Jeff Mace said responders not only had to deal with the fully engulfed van, but with runaway fuel leaks that blazed as they rolled across the lot.

The leaking fuel made for a fire that was simultaneously a hazardous material spill. Mace said personnel were able to use hazmat booms and pads to keep most of the gasoline from getting into storm sewers.

Firefighters used water and chemical foam to extinguish the blaze. Mace said gasoline fires are ideally fought only with foam, but that responders had to get the flames under control before they could get close enough to use the foam.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on bannergraphic.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Would like to thanks Norm, that works at Kroger, for jumping in to try and put the fire out before the firefighters arrived.

-- Posted by asdbb on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 10:58 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: