[Nameplate] Fair ~ 61°F  
High: 67°F ~ Low: 53°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Tiger Cubs capture conference

Saturday, October 6, 2012

GHS wins first West Central Conference title since '95

Greencastle's Alec Pettit makes his way to the end zone late in Friday's game against Cascade.
Greencastle hooked up with Cascade Friday under the light in a quest to claim sole possession of the West Central Conference title and keep its prefect season intact.

The Tiger Cubs achieve both, dominating the Cadets 30-0 to move to 8-0 on the season and capture their first conference title in 17 years.

"It feels great," GHS head coach Josh Buis said. "This community deserves a good football program. It's been a long time, since 1995. We can hang our hat and say we're conference champions. This is a testament to our community and the support from our administration, our teachers and our coaches.

"The kids have bought in the last two years, developing a foundation. We have some great young players to assist a phenomenal senior class. The future's bright for this program."

The team met on field, which quickly turned to mud after enduring rains throughout the day. Greencastle, known for its passing prowess, stuck to the ground Friday and did so with great success.

"We knew coming in we had to keep the ball on the ground. I've never seen so many games in the regular season where the weather affects the passing game and I think that's one of our strengths offensively, with two very good quarterbacks and six receivers we're really excited about," Buis said.

Greencastle's opening touchdown of the game came on special teams. After a quick Cascade three and out to open the game, the Cadets punted the ball to a waiting Cole Pohlar. The returner watched as the ball came to rest on the wet field and hovered over it while Cascade defenders slowed, expecting him to fall on the ball.

Instead, Pohlar quickly scooped up the ball and began his sprint down the field. The senior made his way through the Cascade defense and cross the goal line 68-yard later with 10:47 on the clock.

Buis acknowledged how important getting that first touchdown was and the tone it set.

"I tell you what, that kid has been walking on thin ice all year, making bad decisions back there," Buis said with a smile. "But every time he makes a bad decision, it becomes a positive.

"He's towed the line all year with me and finally I go to our special teams coordinator and say, 'Let's let him play' and he did a phenomenal job tonight picking the ball up, keeping his balance on a wet muddy field.

"And don't forget, we had a lot of good blocks. A lot of guys playing to the echo of the whistle and he was able to go ahead and get that first touchdown for us, which I thought was a changing point in the game a little bit."

Greencastle exploded they the second quarter, putting up 17 points to move out to a commanding 24-0 lead at halftime.

Running back Alex Pettit took the ball up the middle with 9:07 in the second quarter to score on a 61-yard run. On its next possession, Greencastle's Tanner Nicholson's 34-yard run helped set up a 28-yard field goal by Sedrick Weinschenk with 2:46 remaining before the half.

Weinschenk followed that with a deep kickoff that pinned the Cadets on the their own five-yard. On the next play, Dustin Williams exploded on Cascade's Daljot Bajwa after a short catch, knocking the ball loose. Pohlar jumped on the ball to secure possession for the Tiger Cubs.

Starting quarterback Tyler Scott scored on Greencastle next play, running the ball around the right side for a five-yard score just before the half came to a close.

Greencastle's success was due in large part to its dominance at the line of scrimmage.

"Our offensive line did a great job taking control of the line of scrimmage tonight," Buis said. "Both Alec Pettit and Nate Christy did a phenomenal job getting the ball north and south for us getting first downs, moving the chains.

"Our defense did a phenomenal job like always. Controlling the line of scrimmage and making it tough for some teams to move the ball. With the weather tonight it helped us because the teams had to keep the ball on the ground. So we could load the box, get our safeties really aggressive in the run game, put our corners outside on their best receivers man-to-man and it paid off for us tonight."

The Tiger Cubs added another score late in the contest when Pettit found his way into the end zone from three yards out with 3:15 remaining in the game to move the score to its final tally of 30-0.

Sitting at 8-0 with one game remaining, the prospect of closing out a perfect regular season is well in reach of the Tiger Cubs. Buis said his team knows what's at stake and just need to do what they've done so far and things should take care of themselves.

"That's the plan. We have one more preseason left until sectional. It's been since 1995 as well since we've had an undefeated team. They would be the fifth team in the history of this program to go undefeated. It's hard winning and being perfect every game and these kids need to make sure they come out focused and seal the victory this Friday night," Buis said.

Greencastle will close out its regular season Friday when it hosts Owen Valley at 7 p.m.

At Greencastle


First Quarter
GHS -- Pohlar 68-yard punt return, Weinschenk kick 10:47
Second Quarter
GHS -- Pettit 61-yard run, Weinschenk kick 9:07
GHS -- Weinschenk 28-yard field goal 2:46
GHS -- Scott 5-yard run, Weinschenk kick
Fourth Quarter
GHS -- Pettit 3-yard run, kick failed 3:15

Individual Stats
Rushing -- Smith 11-25, Z. Butler 7-7, A. Butler 3-6, Bobadilla 1-1
Passing -- Smith 4-6 23 yards
Receiving -- Batts 1-13, Bajwa 1-7, Z. Butler 2-3
Rushing -- Pettit 18-134 3TD, Christy 8-22, Nicholson 1-34, Scott 7-6 TD
Passing -- Scott 0-6