Basement flooding caused by the heavy rains of the weekend kept the Greencastle Fire Department busy on Sunday morning.
Firefighters responded to four different dispatches ultimately linked to high water in basements.
A call of smoke in the residence at 513 Anderson St. came in at 1:41 a.m., resulting in a nearly five-hour investigation by department personnel.
The investigation revealed that flooding in the basement extinguished the pilot light in the furnace, causing the smoke in the home.
Responders returned to station at 6:23 a.m.
Three other basement floods led to investigations of natural gas smells in homes.
At 2:15 a.m. GFD investigated a gas smell at 113 W. Berry St. After finding the pilot light out, firefighters returned to station at 2:27 a.m.
A similar call came in at 2:25 a.m. from 640 E. Walnut St. Responders cleared the scene at 3:05 a.m.
The final call came in at 10:24 a.m. from 22 N. Gillespie St. Firefighters returned to station at 10:46 a.m.
Other recent GFD dispatches have included:
* On Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 11:43 a.m. GFD investigated an alarm at 209 W. Liberty St. Responders cleared the scene at 11:58 a.m.
At 7:22 p.m. firefighters assisted police at 821 Indianapolis Rd. They returned to station at 8:02 p.m.
* On Thursday, Jan. 10 at 1:37 a.m. responders investigated an alarm at 106 S. Spring St. They returned at 1:47 a.m.
At 8:41 a.m. GFD assisted Operation Life at IAC, 750 S. Fillmore Rd. Responders cleared the scene at 9:55 a.m.
At 2:58 p.m. personnel performed a lift assist at 1811 E. Rangeline Rd. They returned at 3:21 p.m.
At 9:25 p.m. crews investigated an alarm at 414 S. Indiana St. They cleared the scene at 9:36 p.m.
* On Friday, Jan. 11 at 2:45 a.m. GFD responded to an unauthorized burn at the Phi Psi house, 110 E. Larabee St. Crews returned to station at 2:55 a.m.
At 8:28 p.m. GFD was dispatched to Indiana Street north of Live Street but was disregarded at 8:31 p.m.
At 8:34 p.m. personnel responded to an alarm at the ATO house, 626 E. Seminary St. They cleared the scene at 8:47 p.m.
* On Saturday, Jan. 12 at 11:27 a.m. and 12:01 p.m., GFD responded to two consecutive false alarms at 107 W. Hanna St. They returned to station at 11:39 a.m. and 12:09 p.m, respectively.
* On Sunday, Jan. 13 at 8:50 a.m. crews investigated an alarm at 415 S. Locust St. They returned to station at 10:05 a.m.
At 3:09 p.m. GFD was dispatched to a medical assist at 626 E. Seminary St. but was disregarded at 3:12 p.m.
At 5:22 p.m. firefighters investigated an alarm at 504 E. Seminary St., returning to station at 5:31 p.m.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.