[Nameplate] Fair ~ 61°F  
High: 67°F ~ Low: 53°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Alert residents, fast response save Washington Street house

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fast thinking by homeowners and a quick response by the Greencastle Fire Department are credited with saving a Washington Street home from going up in flames Tuesday night.

(Photo)
Greencastle firefighters were called to 634 E. Washington St., at 7:19 p.m. Tuesday to put out a fire that started in the area above a kitchen ceiling fan.
Residents of 634 E. Washington St., located just west of Arlington Street, were cooking dinner about 7:15 p.m. when they noticed a burning smell in the kitchen, Greencastle Fire Department (GFD) officials reported.

The residents also noted that their ceiling fan seemed to be "acting differently," fire officials added.

That observation was quickly followed by the power going out in the house. Simultaneously, the occupants noticed "a glow" coming from the ceiling fan area, prompting them to call 9-1-1.

Dispatched at 7:19 p.m., the GFD unit arrived to find flames showing and entered through the rear of the single-story structure, immediately focusing their attention on the ceiling and the malfunctioning fan.

When firefighters pulled down the kitchen ceiling to inspect the area around the fan, they discovered the fire and promptly extinguished it.

"The fire did not spread beyond the ceiling of the kitchen," fire officials reported to the Banner Graphic, crediting GFD C-Shift "with a great save of the house."

No damage estimate was available on the home.

Cloverdale Fire Department and Operation Life personnel also assisted at the scene.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: