Putnam Scanner for 8-15-15
Two people were booked into the Putnam County Jail on Thursday.
* At 1:10 p.m. Vernon Allen Hendrickson, 59, Greencastle, was lodged at the jail on a warrant for criminal trespassing.
* At 2 p.m. Hailey Niccole Tipton, 25, Crawfordsville, was arrested for failure to appear.
One arrest and three recent citations were reported by Greencastle City Police officers.
* At 5:55 p.m. Thursday, Zachary Lightner, 28, Greencastle, was stopped on East Hanna Street by Officer Nick Eastham.
Lightner was taken to the Putnam County Jail for possession of syringes (seven) and possession of paraphernalia.
He was also ticketed for having an expired license plate (July 2015).
* At 9:32 p.m. Wednesday, Stephen Seketa, 35, Greencastle, was cited by Officer Kyle Lee.
Stopped at Bloomington and Martinsville streets, Seketa ws cited for driving with a suspended license.
* At 8:11 p.m. Sunday, Drew Evens, 25, Greencastle, was cited by Officer Lee.
Stopped at Indianapolis Road and Wood Street, Evens was cited for driving with a suspended license.
The Putnam County Sheriff's Department investigated five recent property-damage accidents.
* At 10:10 a.m. on Monday, Jon W. Ricketts, 50, Rockville, was eastbound on U.S. 36 in a 2003 GMC Sierra.
Ricketts told Capt. Tom Helmer a white van of unknown make passed him in a no-passing zone, cutting him off as he returned to the eastbound lane.
Ricketts swerved to the right to avoid a collision. Tire marks on the grass and shoulder indicated the vehicle traveled some distance before returning to the road. The vehicle then slid across both lanes of U.S. 36 before exiting the road on the north side.
The truck slid down a grass embankment, striking a ditch and causing the truck to roll onto its top. It then slid through a fence and into a cornfield.
The vehicle came to rest approximately 50 feet from the fence, facing west on its driver's side.
Ricketts was able to ext the truck and was taken to Putnam County Hospital by Operation Life, suffering from a head injury.
Roachdale Marshal Mike Mahoy, PMH ambulance and the Bainbridge and Clinton Township fire departments assisted at the scene.
Damage was estimated at $5,001-$10,000.
* At 7:05 a.m. Wednesday, Rebecca J. Ivers, 23, Greencastle, was eastbound on U.S. 40 in a 2014 Honda Civic. Ivers was stopped in the passing lane due to a South Putnam School Corporation bus stopped in the right lane picking up students. The bus was driven by Dan G. Snellenberger, 63, Greencastle.
Charles W. Beard, 59, Clinton, was also eastbound in a 1995 Plymouth Voyager, approaching the stopped vehicles.
Beard told Capt. Helmer he was blinded by the light in the eastern sky and did not observe the stopped bus or Ivers' vehicle until it was too late to stop. When he noticed the vehicles, Beard swerved left to avoid rear-ending the bus and tried to go between the vehicles.
In this attempt, Beard's van hit the right mirror of Ivers' car and the stop arm of the bus.
No drivers or passengers were injured.
INDOT assisted with traffic control due to the blinding sunlight.
Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500
* At 8:20 a.m. Wednesday, Kyle D. Perry, 21, Poland, was northbound on County Road 400 West in a 2000 Ford Expedition.
Perry told Capt. Danny Wallace she came around a curve to find a box truck halfway in her lane. She swerved right and her front tire got off the roadway, causing her to lose control and enter the ditch.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
* At 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, deputies on a security check at South Putnam High School were alerted to a possible crash that had occurred on school property. Deputy Virgil Lanning located an electrical box that had been hit by a vehicle.
Hendricks Power and a witness were on scene. The witness, Mark Carr, said the driver, Andrea N. Hines, 30, Greencastle, had called him after the accident because he is a school employee.
Deputies responded to Hines' residence and spoke to her. Hines said she had hit the box and that Carr said to go home and he would handle it.
Damage was estimated at $10,001-$25,000.
* At 9:45 p.m. Thursday, Richard K. Bakemeier, 56, Indianapolis, was westbound on U.S. 40, approaching County Road 625 West in a 2008 Dodge Caravan.
Bakemeier told Deputy Lanning a deer entered the roadway from the left and he could not avoid the collision.
Damage was estimated at $1,001-$2,500.
The Greencastle Fire Department responded to one dispatch Thursday evening.
* At 6:17 p.m. Thursday, GFD cleaned antifreeze from a car's broken radiator hose at 503 E. Hanna St.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.