Putnam Scanner for 11-30-16
Nine people were booked in the Putnam County Jail recently.
• At 11:07 a.m. Trevor Leland Hewitt, 31, Bainbridge, was lodged at the jail on a warrant for burglary.
• At 11:27 p.m. Richard Thomas Chew, 40, Greencastle, was taken into custody for battery with bodily injury.
• At 5:12 p.m. Sarah Faith Burk, 18, Quincy, was arrested on a Marion County warrant.
• At 7:10 a.m. Leanna Marie Boles, 24, Greencastle, was housed at the jail for battery with moderate bodily injury, criminal mischief, public intoxication and driving with a suspended license.
• At 1:39 a.m. Donald Ray Evans, 34, Greencastle, was charged with possession of marijuana and driving while intoxicated.
Wednesday, Nov. 23
• At 6:05 p.m. Alex Matthew Gaston, 25, Greencastle, was booked in on a court order for assisting a criminal.
• At 5:26 p.m. Stephanie Grace Turman, 29, Indianapolis, was lodged at the jail on a warrant for failure to appear.
• At 5:17 p.m. Marcus Anthony Williams, 21, Indianapolis, was taken into custody on a warrant.
• At 8:41 a.m. James M. Zoellner, 42, Spencer, was arrested on a warrant for nonsupport of a dependent.
• At 3:32 a.m. Angela Lynn Walker, 42, Indianapolis, was housed at the jail on a traffic warrant.
Two recent arrests were reported by Greencastle City Police officers.
• At 1:33 a.m. Tuesday, Jeffrey Everman, 54, Greencastle, was arrested by Officer Elsiana Crosby on West Liberty Street.
Everman was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Lodged in the Putnam County Jail, he registered a .116 percent blood-alcohol content under portable breathalyzer testing.
• At 2:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 21, James Coy, 38, Greencastle, was arrested on charges of battery and violation of probation following a two-vehicle accident on South Street.
Coy was lodged in the Putnam County Jail before being released Tuesday on $5,000 cash bond after a court appearance Monday.
He allegedly put the driver of the other vehicle, Joseph Selke, 24, Greencastle, in a headlock after their vehicles collided at South Street and Woodhaven Drive.
The accident reportedly occurred as Coy was attempted to back a trailer, pulled by a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado, into a driveway and the rig collided with Selke’s 2003 Infiniti, pinning it between the trailer and a tree, Officer Darrel Bunten reported.
Total damage was estimated at $2,500-$5,000.
Putnam County sheriff’s deputies responded to nine recent property-damage crashes.
• At 1:05 a.m. on Saturday, Jakob E. Ison, 21, Jamestown, was northbound on County Road 250 East near Lick Creek in a 1998 Jeep Wrangler when a deer ran into his path.
Deputy Mike Downing reported that Ison swerved right to avoid the deer, lost control and left the east side of the road. The vehicle then entered a ditch, hitting a road sign and a concrete culvert.
Impact with the culvert caused the vehicle to spin 180 degrees, flipping at least once and coming to rest in a ditch on the opposite side of the creek bed.
Prior to the arrival of police, Ison was picked up at the scene by his father, who transported him to IU West Hospital in Avon.
The vehicle was towed. Damage was estimated at $5,001-$10,000.
• At 8 a.m. on Friday, Lucretia C. Reuter, 53, Indianapolis, was westbound on U.S. 40 just west of Putnamville in a 2005 Toyota Camry when a deer ran into the left front of her car.
Capt. Tom Helmer estimated damage at $1,001-$2,500.
• At 4:05 a.m. on Friday, Jonathan A. McCormick, 30, Indianapolis, was westbound on U.S. 36 in a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado when several deer ran into his path.
McCormick told Deputy Downing he swerved right to avoid the deer, losing control and running off the road. The truck entered a ditch, where it hit a concrete culvert, a telephone box and a wooden fence.
The truck was towed. Damage was estimated $2,501-$5,000.
• At 9:34 p.m. on Thursday, Joseph W. Buser, 59, Roachdale, was making a right turn to go north on U.S. 231 from Edgelea Drive in a 2006 Honda Civic. Ethan J. Christy, 16, Greencastle, was southbound on U.S. 231, approaching Edgelea in a 1998 Chevrolet pickup.
Christy told Deputy Downing that as Buser pulled out of Edgelea, his car crossed the center line into his path in the southbound lane. Christy swerved right but could not avoid the collision, with Buser’s car hitting the driver’s side door of his truck.
Buser told Downing that as he made the right turn he was struck by Christy’s vehicle.
Christy’s truck spun out of control, coming to rest in the northbound lane facing north, south of Edgelea Drive. Buser’s car came to rest northbound in the southbound lane.
Neither driver was injured.
A witness who was southbound on 231 told Downing it appeared as if Buser’s car deliberately pulled into the southbound lane, with the driver making no attempt to correct the action or avoid oncoming traffic. She said Buser’s car was heading directly at the pickup when Christy tried swerving to avoid the collision.
Buser tested at .23 BAC on the portable breath test and subsequently at .22 on the certified test at the Putnam County Jail.
He was booked in the jail at 12:14 a.m. Friday for driving while intoxicated and driving with a BAC greater than .15.
Both vehicles were towed. Damage was estimated at $10,001-$25,000.
• At 10:32 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 23, John D. Harlan, 49, Brazil, was southbound on County Road 375 West in a 1995 Dodge Stratus when he lost control due to speed and the wet road.
Deputy Downing reported that the vehicle left the road, passing through a ditch, hitting a fence and two concrete driveway markers.
The car then burst into flames and came to rest in a yard. Harlan escaped without injury.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
• At 9:03 a.m. on Wednesday, Mohamed Keita, 36, Indianapolis, was westbound on Indiana 240 west of County Road 525 East in a 1999 Toyota RAV4. He told Capt. Helmer that as he rounded a curve, the back end started sliding and he lost control.
The vehicle left the travel portion of the road on the north side and hit a highway sign. It then slid back across both lanes of traffic, leaving the south side.
Entering the ditch, the SUV hit a fence and came to rest on its driver’s side.
Keita exited the vehicle with no apparent injuries.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
• At 9:50 a.m. on Wednesday, as crews were still working on the Keita crash, a two-vehicle mishap took place just to the east.
Michael Poor, 56, Greencastle, was eastbound on Indiana 240 in a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. With traffic still restricted from the previous accident, Poor had cleared the scene and re-entered his own lane of travel.
Alexandra H. Long, 20, Clayton, was westbound in a 2000 Ford Ranger. She told Deputy Matt Biggs she was rounding a curve when she abruptly braked upon seeing emergency lights ahead of her.
This action caused her vehicle begin to slide, crossing the center line and hitting the driver’s side door of Poor’s Jeep.
Damage was estimated at $10,001-$25,000.
• At 6:15 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 21, Katherin D. Calhoun, 38, Coatesville, was southbound on County Road 725 East in a 2013 Ford Focus when she hit a deer.
Deputy Jeffery Freeman estimated damage at $5,001-$10,000.
• At 5:34 a.m. on Monday, Timothy J. Sabo, 49, Poland, was eastbound on County Road 1050 South in a 2007 Ford F150 when she hit a deer.
Deputy Freeman listed damage at $2,501-$5,000.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff’s departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.