Putnam Scanner Nov. 8, 2007
Greencastle Fire Dept.
The Greencastle Fire Department went on two runs on Tuesday
* Fire officials were dispatched to 110 West Washington at 10:16 a.m. for a fire alarm. The were disregarded at 10:17 a.m.
* Fire officials were dispatched at 4:23 p.m. to respond to a fire alarm at 102 West Poplar St. They returned to the station at 4:41 p.m.
Putnam County Jail
Several people were booked into the Putnam County Jail recently.
* Zachariah McCarty, 23, Brazil, was booked in at 5:48 p.m. Monday by Greencastle Police Office Chris Helmer for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. He was released on $1,600 bail.
* Marcus Williams, 33, Ressville, was booked in at 8:36 p.m. Monday by Indiana State Trooper William Patterson for failing to appear in court. He was transferred to Hendricks County.
* David Andrew Bliss, 32, Cloverdale, was booked in at 3:43 a.m. Tuesday by Greencastle Police Officer Jeff Modlin for public intoxication, possession of paraphernalia and operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
* Charlotte Rae Vrdoljak, 24, Greencastle, was booked in at 7:47 a.m. Tuesday by Greencastle Police Officers Ed Wilson and Darrel Bunten for dealing a schedule drug within 1,000 feet of a public school or park, possession of paraphernalia, maintaining a common nuisance, dealing marijuana within 1,000 feet of a public school or park and possession of marijuana.
* Charles M. Wood, III, 29, Greencastle, was booked in at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday by Greencastle Police Officers Ed Wilson and Darrel Bunten for possession of marijuana, dealing marijuana within 1,000 feet of a public school or park, dealing a schedule drug within 1,000 feet of a school or park, possession of paraphernalia and maintaining a common nuisance.
* Douglas T. Hicks, 38, Greencastle, was booked in at 9:05 a.m. Tuesday by Greencastle Police Department Officers Ed Wilson and Darrel Bunten for possession of paraphernalia, maintaining a common nuisance and possession of marijuana.
* William Mark Dower, 45, Cape Coral, Fla., was booked in at midnight Wednesday by Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy Joe Tesmer for public intoxication. He was released on his own recognizance.
* Stanley E. McKinney, 25, Greencastle, was booked in at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday by Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy L. Jones, on a petition to revoke probation and operating while suspended on revoked with a prior infraction.
The Putnam County Sheriff's Department was dispatched to several crashes recently.
* Sgt. Tom Helmer responded to a single vehicle crash that trapped and badly injured the driver shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday on U.S. 231 near County Road 1000 North. Taylor R. Waldron, 33, Indianapolis, was driving north on U.S. 231 when she swerved to the right as her vehicle approached a curve in the road. His 1990 Chevrolet S-10 pickup then slid across the grass, struck a ditch and rolled at least three times, according to a police report. The impact of the 235-foot roll trapped Waldron in her truck, which caught on fire. Passing students from North Putnam High School stopped and helped extract Waldron from the burning vehicle said Indiana State Police Trooper Charlie Boller. Waldron suffered severe burns to her face and the upper portion of her body. She was airlifted to Wishard Hospital in Indianapolis. Waldron had been drinking, the report said.
* An Indianapolis woman died in a crash at 5:39 p.m. Saturday on U.S. 40 near County Road 675 East. Joseph C. Gray, 24, Brownsburg, told Deputy Joe Tesmer that he was driving west on U.S. 40 when Marie E. Fox, 61, Indianapolis, pulled out in front of him, according to a police report.
A witness said Gray had no chance to avoid the crash. Gray's 2004 Chevrolet Malibu struck Fox's 2005 Dodge Neon on the driver's side, sending hit spinning across the east-bound lanes of U.S. 40 and into a ditch, the report said.
Fox died at the scene.
* Lt. Danny Wallace responded to a single-vehicle crash on Interstate 70 at 6:42 a.m. Saturday.
Diana L. Strader, 51, Flat Rock, Ind., told police she was driving west on I-70 near County Road 1000 East when a rear tire blew out. She over-corrected and flipped her 1995 Chevrolet pickup truck in the median, according to a police report.
Damage was estimated at between $10,000 and $25,000.
* Deputy Denna DeLaCruz responded to a car-deer crash on U.S. 36 near County Road 25 West at 8:11 p.m. Saturday.
Sue L. Ratcliff, 60, Kingman, Ind., was driving east on U.S. 36 when she hit a deer that jumped into the roadway, according to a police report.
The crash caused between $2,500 and $5,000 in damage.