Officials to take six-pronged approach to renovations
CLOVERDALE -- Cloverdale school officials got a better handle, Monday night, on construction efforts that are planned here later this year.
Gerard Skadinski, representing the construction firm OMS, outlined the scope of physical improvements to facilities within the Cloverdale Community School Corporation in 2008 at Monday night's meeting.
Skadinski presented the project in six components, to be completed primarily this summer. They are:
* Replacement of the football bleachers and press box.
* Installation of a poured resilient floor in the elementary gymnasium,
* Replacement of the bleachers and railings in the high school gymnasium,
* Improvement to the air handling capacity in the high school agriculture area, weight room, and locker rooms,
* Installation of exterior doors and security features, including surveillance cameras, and
* Construction of a storage facility located behind the administration building.
Skadinski went on to say that a pre-bid meeting with potential contractors would be conducted today, and that bids would be accepted beginning Jan. 24.
Meanwhile, Supt. Carrie Milner announced that ISTEP scores were up this year with respect to the overall performance of the corporation. She shared that in many instances, passing rates in the general education population were in excess of 80 percent.
Milner also requested approval of the first draft of a NEOLA policy manual in February. The adoption of the manual would enable the corporation to stay current with federal and state guidelines governing policy issues. NEOLA would also provide an electronic version of the manual that would be user-friendly, Milner stated.
In other business the board:
* Tabled discussion of an appointment to the school board.
* Adopted a resolution approving continuing disclosure.
* Approved a $1,000 Martin Marietta donation for use in the elementary school.
* Accepted PL191 expenditure categories for fiscal year 2008, with the caveat that said categories needed further clarification from the state.
* Approved various facility use requests, professional leave requests, and field trip requests.
In personnel matters:
*?Approval of maternity leave requests for Christy Schmeckebier, Elementary Counselor, and Amanda Mitchell, High School English Teacher.
* Approval of maternity leave replacements Jamey Landry and Joe Dunagan.
*?Approval to hire Andrea Nichols, Elementary Teaching Assistant.
* Approval of a transfer request from Stacy Artis to Technology Assistant.
The Cloverdale Community School Board meets at 7:00 p.m. on the second Monday of the month.