Boy's death ruled accidental

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The weekend death of a Coatesville boy has been ruled accidental.

Stephen E. "Stevie" Patterson, 8, died Saturday after an accident at home. Indiana State Police Sgt. Richard Myers said the boy was playing with his brother and a friend in the basement of the Patterson home.

"They had made a hammock out of blankets," Myers said. "Apparently the boy got twisted up and a blanket got wrapped around his neck. The friend thought (Stephen) was just playing, but when he hadn't moved for a while he realized something was wrong and he went and got the mother."

His parents and a neighbor began cardio pulmonary resuscitation.

The boy was transferred to Hendricks Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The cause of death -- strangulation -- was determined late Monday after an autopsy.

Stephen was the son of Stephen Patterson Sr. and Jeanette Varvel. He was a second-grader at Bainbridge Elementary School, and played football in the Bainbridge Youth League.

An obituary will appear in Wednesday's Banner Graphic.