Tiger Cubs advance with win over Sullivan, 8-6

Thursday, May 27, 2010
Keegan Remsburg

CLINTON -- For those spectators wandering in late Wednesday night at South Vermillion High School, they might have had to do a double take. With both Greencastle and Sullivan sporting purple tops, telling the difference between the two might have taken a moment.

There was no differentiating who was on the mound though. Seven long innings, spanning over three and a half hours, it was Keegan Remsburg helping lead the Tiger Cubs to a sectiona win over the Golden Arrows 8-6.

The contest was interrupted in the bottom of the third inning when lightning was spotted in the area, bringing what was already an exciting game to a brief standstill.

Remsburg opened the contest with a strikeout, but quickly found himself in a jam. Two singles and a hit batsman loaded the bases for Sullivan, but Remsburg dealt a second strikeout in the inning. Two more walks, however, would plate two before a weak ground ball made its way to the pitcher to end the inning before any more damage ensued.

Greencastle answered back in the bottom of the frame. Leadoff hitter Andy Bell doubled and stole third. A dropped strike three to Remsburg allowed the pitcher to reach first, allowing Patrick Richardson's sacrifice fly to left plate Bell.

In the second, Greencastle seized the lead after allowing only four Sullivan batters in the top half of the inning.

Jesse Vermillion led off with a single, followed by two walks to Ryan Pettit and Hunter Mitchell. Bell would fly out to right, allowing Vermillion to score before a double by Ryan Battin plated Pettit.

Remsburg singled to usher in Mitchell and give the Tiger Cubs a 4-2 lead. The threat continued to loom when Landon Miller walked to load the bases, but a groundout by Kyle Johnson would strand the runners.

A series of unforced errors allowed Sullivan to pull one back in the third. Austin Pearison forced a throwing error to reach base. He was replaced by Cameron McNeely. McNeely stole second and then third on an errant throw from Remsburg to second. Marcus Ridge would fly out to right and get the Golden Arrows back in the contest at 4-3.

Vermillion started the bottom of the inning with a walk, only for play to be halted due to weather.

Once play resumed, Pettit was walked and stole second. Bell was hit by a pitch to bring up Battin. The centerfielder looped one deep to his own position to tack on another run and make the game 5-3.

On cue, Sullivan answered with another run. A single from Blake Shorter started the fourth, and after another error and a walk, Juston Hammerbacher singled to score Shorter to bring the Golden Arrows back within one at 5-4.

Richardson tripled to start the bottom of the fourth and was singled in by Johnson two batters later. Vermillion got on base for the third time in the contest but was left stranded there.

Remsburg dialed in his only 1-2-3 inning of the contest in the top of the fifth, allowing Greencastle the chance to tack on some insurance runs.

Bell was plunked for the second time in the game before Battin hammered a triple to plate the leadoff man.

Remsburg popped out to left to plate Battin to make the lead 8-4, and might have scored later if not for an exceptional play in left field. Miller blasted a shot that looked like it was destined for extra bases but Ridge, having been bounced to several positions throughout the contest, made a diving grab to deny Miller and the Tiger Cubs.

Sullivan refused to go out quietly and added two more runs in the top of the sixth. Two early walks would bite Remsburg as a single from James Lisman and a ground out by Hammerbacher added a run apiece, keeping the Golden Arrows within a bloop and blast of tying the ballgame.

The sixth and final Greencastle at-bat would be the odd one out, as for the only time in the contest, the Tiger Cubs failed to plate a runner. Remsburg ensured that none was needed as he struck out three in the final frame to seal the deal.

Afterwards, coach Troy Remsburg was part enthused and part bemused by the three and a half hour long game.

"You know, we got to talking in the dugout about scoring every inning," Remsburg said with a chuckle. "We didn't get there, though. I thought we played well. There were a few errors and we left a lot of runners on base. As hot as it is, and with that one hour delay, it took a lot of steam out of us. We played a good, hard game and get to go again Monday."

When asked about the long game, thoughts went to the mound and complete game winner Keegan Remsburg.

"Keegan can go that many pitches," Remsburg explained, noting that the starter threw over 100 pitches in the game. "We don't have a lot of guys that can do that like he can."

"He'll be a little sore tomorrow, and probably run for the next couple of days. We can throw him again because we don't play until Monday, so we can rest him. We can rest Vermillion and Johnson and use the days off to our advantage."

As Edgewood and South Vermillion were warming up, Remsburg though ahead to the possible matchups.

"We played both teams earlier in the year. We lost by two to South Vermillion in a good game. We played Edgewood right before the county tourney and had to use a couple of JV pitchers. That week we played South (Putnam), Edgewood and the County Tourney."

"With the days off, we'll be fine either way."

At South Vermillion

IHSAA 3A Sectional No. 29

Sullivan 201 102 0 -- 6 5 2

Greencastle 131 120 X -- 8 11 3

WP -- Remsburg

LP -- Landis

2B -- Bell, Battin (G)

3B -- Battin, Richardson (G)

RBI -- Hammerbacher (2), Landis, Ridge, Lisman (S), Battin (3), Remsburg (2), Bell, Richardson, Johnson (G)