Putnam Scanner for Nov. 18, 2010
Putnam County Sheriff's Department
* Nov 12, 10:20 a.m.: James A. Arford, 85, White Bear Lake, Minn., driving a 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe, said he came around a curve on southbound U.S. 231N to pass Anthony N. Poke, 55, Akron, Mich., driving a 2011 Kenworth T660. Arford didn't notice a northbound vehicle before pulling out. He pulled in too soon and sideswiped Polk's semi tractor in the front fender. Polk said he applied his brakes but couldn't avoid the accident.
Arford's vehicle towed by Kenny's. Damage $5,001-$10,000.
* Nov. 12, 12:15 p.m.: Alyssa A. Ryan, 19, Greencastle, was northbound on U.S. 231 in a 2001 Ford Taurus when she lost control of her vehicle with the front tire blew out, causing her to hit a utility pole, tree and embankment.
Towed by Jerry's. Damage $2,501-$5,000.
* Nov. 12, 8:41 p.m.: Jamie Rawley, 33, Reelsville, was westbound on U.S. 40 in a 2005 GMC Envoy when a deer ran into her path and she could not avoid it.
Towed by Seniour's. Damage $5,001-$10,000.
* Nov. 13, 6:10 a.m.: Brittany D. Wallace, 18, Cloverdale, was eastbound on U.S. 40E in a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. She said she must have gotten sleepy and went off the roadway, striking the guardrail. She then overcorrected and went across all lanes of traffic and through the median, striking the guardrail on the other side.
Towed by Jerry's. Damage $750-$1,000.
* Nov. 13, 6:20 a.m.: Timothy B. Krout, 46, Wingate, was westbound on U.S. 40 in a 2007 Chevrolet Colorado. He apparently fell asleep and drifted off the north side of the road. The vehicle traveled down an embankment and continued westbound for 262 feet, where it impacted a tree with the vehicle's right front.
Krout was trapped in the vehicle for approximately an hour before being extricated by fire department personnel. He was transported to St. Vincent Hospital Indianapolis via PHI Air Ambulance, suffering fractures to his lower extremities and internal injuries. Fire personnel advised the driver was unrestrained in the vehicle.
Assisting at the scene were personnel from Jefferson Township Fire, Mill Creek Fire, Danville/Center Township Fire, Plainfield Fire, Operation Life and PHI.
Towed by Seniour's. Damage $5,001-$10,000.
* Nov. 13, 3:04 p.m.: Brian Walker, 23, Plainfield, was northbound on U.S. 231 in a 2004 Chevrolet Impala attempting to turn around. He had to wait for oncoming traffic. Tamara Pittman, 39, Waveland, was northbound in a 2005 Dodge GSX. She said she saw Walker's vehicle slowed or stopped in the distance. She then looked down and when she looked up, she saw Walker stopped attempting to turn. Pittman said she could not stop in time due to wet pavement and rear-ended Walker's vehicle.
* Nov. 13, 3:35 p.m.: Katie J. Tate, 55, Lizton, was traveling northeast bound on CR 825E in a 2006 Ford Fusion when she lost control on a wet, slick corner, sliding into the 2009 Toyota Prius driven by Duane L. Wass, 54, Coatesville.
* Nov. 13, 7:32 p.m.: Amber D. Barker, 24, Greencastle, was northbound on US 231 in a 2008 Ford Escape when a deer entered the road and she could not avoid it.
* Nov. 14, 5:43 a.m.: Marvin Pope Jr., 55, Lizton, was traveling westbound on U.S. 40 just west of Putnamville in a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado when he struck a deer.
* Nov. 14, 11:40 a.m.: Brian A. Schaeffer, 28, New Harmony, was westbound on I-70W in a 2006 Ford Escort. A witness observed Shaeffer's vehicle go off the right side of the road, veer back and forth a couple of times and then rash into a guard rail, riding it to a stop.
No statement could be taken from Schaeffer due to an unknown medical condition he was experiencing at the time that was likely the contributing cause of the accident.
* Nov. 14, 9:36 p.m.: Jo D. Miller, 54, Reelsville, was eastbound on CR 1000S in a 2007 Ford Explorer registered to the Putnam County Sheriff's Department when a deer ran in front of her and should couldn't avoid it.
* Nov. 15, 12:20 p.m.: Peggy L. Swihart, 58, Cloverdale, driving a 2002 Toyota RAV4, said she couldn't remember if she fell asleep or what happened, but she looked up and notice she was off the road. She turned to the right and lost control, overturning the vehicle and landing on her top.
Towed by Steele's. Damage $10,001-$25,000.
* Nov. 15, 10:45 p.m.: Ashley M. Erb, 35, Brazil, was westbound on U.S. 40 in a 2000 Dodge Caravan when a deer ran from the south side of the road and she could not avoid the collision.
* Nov. 16, 4:20 p.m.: Kyle E. Cunningham, 16, Coatesville, was heading southwest on CR 750E in a 1998 Ford Mustang. He lost control because of slick roads and went inot a tree.
Towed by Kenny's. Damage $1,001-$2,500.
Putnam County Jail
Ren Michael Branagin, 20, Greencastle: Operating while intoxicated, public intoxication, minor consumption, Nov. 15, 4 a.m.
David Andrew Burger, 46, Terre Haute: Bond revocation, Nov. 10, 8:59 a.m.
Taylor Lee Cooper, 19, Cloverdale: Reckless driving, resisting law enforcement, Nov. 12, 9:25 p.m.
Mitchell Aaron Crum, 20, no city listed: Probation violation, Nov. 12, 3:57 p.m.
Brandon David England, 29, Cloverdale: Nonsupport of a dependent, Nov. 15, 3:40 p.m.
Travis Gene Gray, 21, Fillmore: Operating while intoxicated, Nov. 13, 12:40 a.m.
David Earl Green, 35, Pine Village: Probation violation, Nov. 14, 2 p.m.
Robbie James Hinz, 23, St. Louis: Public intoxication, Nov. 13, 2:55 a.m.
Daniel J. Holycross, 33, Crawfordsville: Bond revocation, Nov. 11, 11:55 a.m.
Samuel Lubano, 27, Greencastle: Public intoxication, trespassing, Nov. 14, 12:30 a.m.
Suzanne Stewart Masten, 37, Greencastle: Operating while intoxicated, leaving the scene of an accident, Nov. 13, 12:20 a.m.
Catherine Louise McCoy, 38, Gary: Trafficking contraband with an inmate, Nov. 13, 5:20 p.m.
Calvin Mitchell Minnix-Spiker, 18, Cloverdale: Possession of marijuana, sale of marijuana, Nov. 17, 12:01 a.m.
Raul Contreras Moreno, 34, Indianapolis: Driving while suspended, Nov. 15, 3:30 p.m.
Mellissa Ann Morgan, 41, Cloverdale: Operating while intoxicated, possession of a controlled substance, public intoxication.
Jerald Curtis Norman II, 28, Greencastle: Contempt of court, Nov. 16, 1:48 p.m.
Jonathan Stanley Parker, 22, Fillmore: Public intoxication, criminal mischief, Nov. 13, 10:50 p.m.
Adams J. Parks, 26, Greencastle: Probation volation, Nov. 16, 5:58 p.m.
Elizabeth Anne Rossok, 20, Greencastle: Sexual misconduct with a minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, Nov. 10, 4:02 p.m.
Gordon Brent Sims, 52, Greencastle: Public intoxication, probation violation, Nov. 16, 1:27 p.m.
Matthew Albert Wallpe, 21, Batesville: Operating while intoxicated, Nov. 14, 2:10 a.m.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Putnam County Sheriff's Department, Greencastle Police Department and Greencastle Fire Department.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.