Ind. residents urged to report storm damage

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Putnam County residents and all other Hoosiers who sustained damage caused by severe weather beginning Wednesday, May 25 are being urged to report damage to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS).

A link to the form is available on the IDHS website at In the middle of the page, under Topics of the Day, click on "Report Damage Beginning April 18, 2011 and Continuing -- Wind and Flooding."

New storm damage reports are being combined with previous damage from severe weather that began April 18.

"Individuals with uninsured damage from the severe weather must report quickly," IDHS Executive Director Joe Wainscott said. "The faster we can assess the situation, the better, especially if the determination is to pursue federal assistance. Even if you aren't intending to apply for assistance, your report of uninsured damage will help the state and your neighbors in assessing the case to request federal assistance."

Individuals will be asked to provide their name, address, phone number, damage to property and type of damage the property sustained.

Losses can include structural damage to homes and loss of personal property.

Hoosiers are reminded that this not an application for a grant with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Information will be used to help local emergency management agencies and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security preliminarily assess damage to determine if federal assistance can be pursued.

Individuals without Internet access are encouraged to contact a friend, family member or neighbor for assistance. Web access is also available at many libraries, community centers or other public facilities. If none of those options are available, individuals may also contact their county emergency management agency to report damage.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: