Purdue Extension holds commercial, private pesticide applicator license programs

Monday, November 14, 2011

Two opportunities nearby Putnam County will assist those who are either private or commercial applicators who need to attend a session a program to maintain licenses. Call the Putnam County office 653-8411 to RSVP for these programs.

On Monday, Dec. 12, the Clay County Fairgrounds will be the site of a 1 p.m. program offering a private applicator recertification program (PARP) and 3 CCH credits for Category 1, 11 and RT commercial applicators. The program topics with speakers in field crop diseases (Kiersten Wise, Purdue), field crop insects (John Obermeyer, Purdue) and pesticide labels (Jenna Smith/Ann Delchambre, Purdue Extension).

On Tuesday, Dec. 13, the Beef House will be the site of the Bistate Crops Conference starting at 9 a.m. offering a PARP credit and similarly 3 CCH credits. Program topics with speakers in for this program include Lessons Learned from 2011 Corn Production (Bob Nielson, Purdue), More Money with Less Nitrogen (Jim Camberato, Purdue), Impact of Reducing Nitrogen Losses (Jane Frankenberger, Purdue) and Soybean Yield Robbers (Jason Bond, Southern Illinois University).

Driftwatch for private applicators and information about the new Category 14 fertilizer rules will be discussed also. PARP credit is $10 at both locations. If staying for the meal and entire program at the Beef House, there will be an additional $20 fee.

Anyone who wants to purchase a "restricted use" pesticide must have a private or commercial applicator license to purchase these chemicals. A private applicator license is only good on the property that one owns, rents or controls. If one plans to apply "restricted use" pesticides to other properties, then one would need to obtain a commercial pesticide license.

These licenses are not just for big farmers. In fact a person with an acre of strawberries may desire and obtain a private applicator license. Pesticides are labeled "restricted use" for a variety of reasons. Some pesticides like the herbicide paraquat are not likely to be damaging to the environment, but pose very dangerous health and safety risks during the handling and application process to the applicator. Strict adherence of using personal protection equipment is a must when using paraquat as a small portion ingested into the body can be lethal.

Other pesticides, like the herbicide atrazine, are not highly toxic relative to other herbicides, but have strict environmental use restrictions on the label. For this reason some herbicides that have a high capacity to harm the environment are labeled as restrictive use pesticides. Still, other pesticides may have other or a combination of factors that make them "restricted use" pesticides requiring purchasers to obtain some sort of an applicator license.

Private applicators will want to check their licenses to determine when they expire as the year concludes to avoid re-examination. Three private applicator recertification program (PARP) sessions must be taken to avoid reexamination. A maximum of two PARP sessions may be counted in any given year.

One of the three sessions may be taken via an online program session. Therefore anyone, whose license expires in December 2012 will need to have at least one session taken before the conclusion of 2011.

Go online to http://www.btny.purdue.edu/PPP/PARP/ to find program listings and track how many sessions have been attended along with other information.

If you have any questions regarding your current status as a private applicator or want more information related to a commercial applicators license, please give the office a call. Also you can contact the office to purchase the materials for studying for the private applicator exam which is typically offered locally during late winter or early spring.

The Extension Office is now located at 12 Central Square in the Pershing Accounting and PNC Bank Building. Check our the website at www.extension.purdue.edu/putnam to view the most up to date info.

Contact the local Purdue Extension Office by calling 653-8411 for more information regarding column topics or to RSVP for upcoming events.

It is always best to call first to assure items are ready when you arrive and to RSVP for programs. While many publications are free, some do have a fee. All times listed are Eastern Time.

Upcoming Events

Nov. 16--Cooking 101 "COOKIES" at Area 30 Career Center --Cost $3; RSVP w/ Extension office required.

Nov. 29 -- Extension Annual Meeting, Fairgrounds, 6:30 p.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: