House fire torches Roachdale kitchen

Saturday, June 2, 2012
Damage to the Roachdale home was contained to the kitchen.

ROACHDALE -- The Roachdale fire department responded to a call for a house fire at 206 West St. at around noon on Friday.

There was no one home at the time, but a fast response limited the damage to the kitchen and saved the home.

"We haven't found the cause yet, but we have located where it started," Roachdale Fire Chief Mike Poole said. "The back room was filled with helium balloons. If the fire would have gotten in there we would have had real problems."

Chief Poole said the department believes it was an electrical fire, but they are still investigating.

In August the house next door (at 204 West St.) was destroyed by an electrical fire.

The home owner, Charleen Wiggins, was on her way to Greencastle to run errands when her son called and alerted her of the fire.

Wiggins, who has been in the house for 46 years, said it is insured.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: