Scanner for Jan. 30, 2013
Several people have been booked into the Putnam County Jail recently.
* On Friday, Jan. 25 at 9:32 p.m. George Perry, 37, Hanover, was arrested on five counts of nonsupport of a dependent.
At 10:54 p.m., Allain Yvel Duncan, 19, Coatesville, and Austin Will Hagood, 20, Marietta, Ga., were lodged at the jail for public intoxication and for being minors in consumption of alcohol.
* On Saturday, Jan. 26 at 11 a.m. Patrick O'Day, 26, Nevada, was charged with nonsupport of a dependent.
At 6:08 p.m. Ronald Dean Whitehead, 51, Reelsville, was held at the jail for domestic battery and strangulation.
At 8:52 p.m. Glenn Russell Swearingen, 32, Elizabeth, Tenn., was booked in for disorderly conduct disturbing the peace and public intoxication.
* On Sunday, Jan. 27 at 2:50 a.m. Michael Cody Oldham, 23, Cloverdale, was arrested for operating while intoxicated with a prior conviction.
At 3:10 a.m. Joshua David Hatten, 23, Cloverdale, was lodged at the jail for driving under the influence of drugs and possession of paraphernalia.
At 5 a.m. Anita Carol Cundiff, 40, Greencastle, was charged with possession of marijuana.
* On Monday, Jan. 28 at 1:30 p.m. Chad Bryson, 39, Indianapolis, was booked in for nonsupport of a dependent.
At 1:30 p.m. Koltin Herron, 22, Camby, was arrested on warrants for burglary and theft.
A Coatesville teenager escaped without injury after he rolled his minivan in icy conditions on the morning of Friday, Jan. 25.
At 7:55 a.m. Morgan Grundlock, 17, was westbound on U.S. 40 in a 1999 Pontiac Montana in the Mt. Meridian area.
Grundlock told Col. Tom Helmer that as he approached County Road 525 East, a vehicle slid into the intersection from the north.
He swerved into the left lane to avoid the other vehicle and lost control on the snow and ice. Grundlock's vehicle then crossed back over both westbound lanes before leaving the travel portion of the road.
The Pontiac then slid across a yard and driveway before the left rear of the van hit a stone wall and rolled over it, coming to rest on its top. The vehicle was just feet from the residence at 5205 E. U.S. 40.
Grundlock exited the vehicle with no apparent injuries.
The other participant, whose vehicle was not struck, said she was unable to stop and slid onto U.S. 40.
Col. Helmer was assisted at the scene by Greencastle Police Chief Tom Sutherlin, Indiana State Trooper Adam Edwards and the Fillmore Fire Department.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
* On Wednesday, Jan. 23 at 12:07 a.m. Cheryl A Miles, 44, Cloverdale, was northbound on U.S. 231 south of County Road 700 South when she hit a deer.
Deputy Smith estimated damages at $2,501-$5,000.
* On Friday, Jan. 25 at 8:52 a.m. Wei Tao, 20, Greencastle, was southbound on U.S. 231 in a 2004 BMW X3.
As he was attempting to negotiate a curve, he hit loose snow and ice, losing control. The car spun around, going off the road and into a ditch backward.
Helmer estimated damages at $1,001-$2,500.
* On Saturday, Jan. 26 at 11:18 a.m. Barbara F. Yarnell, 69, Monrovia, was eastbound on Stardust Road in a 1995 Chevrolet van when she began to slide on the icy roadway.
Yarnell's van lost control and left the south side of the road, hitting a ditch and rolling onto its top.
Sgt. Jon Chadd estimated damages at $5,001-$10,000.
The Greencastle Fire Department saved a house from extensive damage in the late night/early morning hours of Jan. 25 and 26.
At 11:47 p.m. firefighters responded to a structure fire at 508 Maple Ave.
They arrived to find the back porch roof on fire due to heat from a wood stovepipe.
Responders were able to contain and ultimately extinguish the blaze, clearing the scene at 1:44 a.m.
GFD has responded to a number of other recent dispatches.
* On Friday, Jan. 25 responders performed a medical assist at 1007 Avenue D. They returned to station at 6:51 p.m.
* On Saturday, Jan. 26 at 10:42 p.m. GFD investigated an alarm at 445 Anderson St., clearing the scene at 11:10 p.m.
* On Sunday, Jan. 27 at 11:49 a.m. crews investigated an alarm at 107 W. Hanna St. They returned to station at 11:58 a.m.
At 6:32 p.m. responders cleaned up the road following a motor vehicle accident at 1214 Bloomington St. They cleared the scene at 6:50 p.m.
* On Monday, Jan. 28 at 12:13 p.m. GFD investigated a smoke smell at the intersection of Liberty and College streets. No problem was located and responders returned to station at 12:19 p.m.
At 6:26 p.m. responders were called to 309 Medic Way but were disregarded before leaving the station.
* On Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 11:39 a.m. firefighters responded to an alarm due to cooking at 304 S. Indiana St. They reset the alarm and returned to station at 11:45 a.m.
At 1:58 GFD was dispatched to 414 S. Indiana St. but was disregarded before leaving the station.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.