GCSC welcomes new GMS assistant principal, discusses construction, insurance, gun laws
The Greencastle Community School Corporation approved hiring Amy Piskoty as the new Greencastle Middle School assistant principal as part of its monthly board meeting on Monday night.
Piskoty comes to Greencastle from Lawrence township and was excited to begin her new role at GMS.
"I'm very humbled and excited for the next part of my journey," Piskoty said addressing the crowd with a smile. "I'm happy to be here."
Piskoty was one of several candidates that were interviewed and was referred to as the school corporation's "excellent candidate" out of those who had applied for the position.
The board was excited to approve and welcome the "master teacher" to GCSC.
The board reluctantly approved a change in school board policy regarding firearms on school property. The board approved this policy because it, along with other schools, is in a position of being forced to approve the school board policy to remain in compliance with recently passed state NEOLA regulations.
In discussion about the new policy approval, board members were sure to point out that they did not like, agree or be given credit with the new policy.
"What bothers me is that the state is making us approve this," school board secretary Gary Haussin asserted. "I have a problem approving this, I don't like it."
Haussin was not alone in his frustrations but ultimately the board reluctantly approved the policy, not doing so would have had legal ramifications for the school corporation.
Insurance rates for school employees will be rising by 6 percent starting in October.
As part of the Wabash Valley West Central Indiana insurance trust (WVWCI), GCSC will raise insurance rates along with other schools that are also a part of this trust.
Insurance rate changes trickle down from rate increases at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, then to the WVWCI, then onto individual school corporations.
The end result of the rise in rates will affect different insurance plans and individuals differently depending on their exact situation and the school corporation will be sending out information to help employees understand their options and what the change in rates will ultimately mean for them.
In other business:
* The board presented an update on various construction projects including: the house being torn down at 310 College St., the property purchased by the school corporation earlier this year; the spraying of the new roof at McAnally should be finished this week; the Greencastle High School cafeteria has drywall hung and will have storefront windows installed this week; GHS storage building has been stalled waiting on state permits but is projected to be finished Aug. 1; the Tzouanakis parking lot project will be receiving new blacktop and drains soon, 17 bathrooms have been remodeled and carpet and tiling will be done just in time for school; McAnally locker room will have new floors and will be painted this week.
* The board approved the organization of the board, with Mike White being approved as board president; Denise Sigworth as vice president; Gary Haussin as secretary; Jayme Barber as treasurer; Kelli Romer as deputy treasurer; Denise Smedley as ECA treasuer and Robert Rund as corporation attorney.
* The board approved several new hires including Gwen Morris as administrative support at Ridpath Elementary for the 2013-14 school year and Diana Callahan as data coordinator at GMS, Tzouanakis, Deer Meadow and Ridpath Elementary for the 2014-15 school year.
* The board approved hiring Dave Zorman as assistant football coach at GHS; Linsey Wagner as cheer coach at GMS; Ivonne Martinez as head cross country coach at GMS; Matt Helmer as head football coach at GMS; Carter Gorman as varsity boys' assistant soccer coach at GHS; Samantha Burke as varsity girls' assistant soccer coach at GHS; Michelle Thomas as spell bowl coach at Tzouanakis; Carmen Cross as intramural activities coach at Tzouanakis; Jeff McCall as volunteer football coach at GMS and a transfer from GMS instructional assistant to secretary at GMS for Lori Lamb.
* The board approved a number of resignations including Shelley Minor as seventh-grade math teacher and mathematics department chair at GMS; Kara Jedele as eigth-grade language arts teacher at GMS; Alexandra Hirt as instructional assistant at Deer Meadow Primary and Wendi Evans as spell bowl coach and fitness intramurals coach at Tzouanakis Intermediate School.