Scanner for 12-05-14
Two people were booked into the Putnam County Jail on Thursday.
* At 10:27 a.m., Christopher Joseph Foster, 34, Indianapolis, was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance and a probation violation.
At 4:55 p.m., John Russell McClain, 48, Greencastle, was arrested for theft.
Three recent accidents were investigated by Greencastle City Police officers.
* At 3:53 p.m. Monday, a two-vehicle mishap was reported on Jackson Street near Shadowlawn Avenue.
Officer Jeff Modlin reported that Jacob Huffman, 25, Clarence, Mo., was southbound on Jackson Street, approaching the railroad tracks on the city's north side. Admitting he was fatigued, Huffman, driving a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, struck a 2011 GMC SUV, driven by Sandra Fordice, 52, Russellville.
Fordice was stopped, trying to turn left onto Shadowlawn when the collision occurred.
Total damage was estimated at $2,500-$5,000.
* At 5:30 p.m. Nov. 24, a two-car accident was reported on Indianapolis Road near Franklin and Washington streets.
Dakota Collett, 19, Greencastle, was westbound on Washington Street, driving a 1997 Mercury Tracer, when the light turned yellow in front of Kroger, Officer Ed Wilson reported.
Meanwhile, Judith Cross, 67, Ladoga, was attempting to turn left into Kroger in a 1999 Ford Taurus and did not see Collett approaching, Wilson said.
The collision resulted in an estimated $2,500-$5,000 damage.
* At 12:14 p.m. Nov. 21, a two-car mishap occurred on Capital Drive at the entrance to Chiyoda, just south of Indianapolis Road.
Justin Perry, 23, Trafalgar, driving a 1998 Saturn, reportedly pulled out of the factory parking lot without seeing a northbound 2007 Buick, driven by Deborah Havens, 60, Greencastle, striking it in the rear.
Total damage in the accident was estimated by Officer Modlin at $5,000-$10,000.
Perry was cited for having no financial responsibility.
In another incident, Dylan M. Wilson, 20, Terre Haute, was stopped by Officer Kyle Lee on Indianapolis Road for speeding and received a warning ticket.
As Officer Lee approached the vehicle, he reportedly noted the smell of marijuana and cited Wilson for possession of marijuana less than 30 grams and possession of paraphernalia.
Five additional citations were issued recently by city officers
* At 10:05 p.m. Nov. 30, Alexia Burk, 17, Greencastle, was cited by Officer Lee at Percy Julian Drive and Avenue C for a learner's permit violation.
* At 12:24 a.m. Nov. 30, Antoni Stasiukiewcz, 63, Greencastle, was cited by Officer Lee on Indianapolis Road near Fifth Street for an expired license plate (Oct. 28).
* At 12:06 a.m. Nov. 29, Lisa Trump, 46, Fillmore, was ticketed at Washington and Locust streets by Officer Lee for an expired license plate (Nov. 14).
* At 10:20 p.m. Nov. 28, Sandra Bortkewicz, 52, Rockville, was cited by Officer Eric Vaughan on Veterans Memorial Highway for having no operator's license.
* At 1:12 p.m. Nov. 26, Melissa Scales, 21, Greencastle, was ticketed on East Washington Street by Officer Modlin for an expired license plate (Oct. 7).
Three recent accidents were investigated by Putnam County Sheriff's Department deputies.
* At 7:35 p.m. on Wednesday, Donald Chastain, 23, Dalton, Ga., was northbound on U.S. 231, approaching Interstate 70.
Chastain told Lt. Virgil Lanning he did not know the area as he is from Georgia. He had attempted to quickly make a U-turn with his 2014 Honda Civic at the intersection with the on/off ramps for Interstate 70. However, Chastain he did not see a vehicle driven by James Wood, 37, Greencastle, until a collision occurred.
Wood was in the left lane and Chastain was just ahead of him in the right lane. As they approached the intersection, Wood said Chastain quickly turned in front of his 2000 Dodge 2500, attempting to make a U-turn back south.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
At 11:26 p.m., Jane A. Bruner, 42, Greencastle, was eastbound on State Road 240, near County Road 450 East, when a deer ran into her path.
Bruner advised Deputy Mike Downing she was unable to stop her 2004 Pontiac Montana and hit the animal, which resulted in damage to its front end and driver's side quarter panel.
Damage was listed at $2,501-$5,000.
* At 12:20 p.m. on Thursday, Brandon L. White, 18, Greencastle, was southbound on U.S. 231.
Deputy Adam Hull said White advised he lost control of his 2004 Pontiac Grand Am due to the slick roadway, resulting in his car spinning and running off the road on the northbound side.
Following the collision, White complained of neck pain and was transported to Putnam County Hospital via Operation Life.
Damage was estimated at $2,501-$5,000.
The Greencastle Fire Department has performed three medical assists and responded to numerous dispatches recently.
* At 7:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 5, GFD was called to a fire alarm triggered by hair products at 904 S. College Ave.
* At 8:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 5, GFD was dispatched to a fire at 1 E. Hanna St. after a sprinkler system activated due to a dehydrating unit caught fire. Upon arrival, the fire had been mostly extinguished but was still burning in the dehydrator. GFD turned off the sprinkler system and performed final extinguishment.
* At 1:44 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, GFD responded to a two-vehicle auto accident with minor personal injury. The accident occurred at the intersection of Indianapolis Road and Percy Julian Drive.
No one was transported to a hospital.
Information included in the Putnam Scanner is taken from reports provided to the Banner Graphic by the Greencastle Police, the Greencastle Fire and the Putnam County Sheriff's departments.
Individuals listed in the blotter have been arrested on probable cause and have not been formally charged. Charging information may change after an initial arrest.
Questions about listed charging information should be directed to the arresting agency.